Thursday, September 13, 2001

Because I have no internet access, difficulty getting to Brooklyn or ways to conveniently offload my pictures... It'll be awhile before I can post any pictures.
-----
I came up behind them as the waited to cross the street to the Bayonne library. A group of 6 women and a man.

The women all had their heads covered in traditional muslim style.

You could tell the younger ones werent at all used to wearing the traditional head-covering regularly.

A determined point was being made.

They were defiant as they crossed road, smiling and laughing, ignoring the honking horns, the hard stares and the loud comments coming from the cars.

On one hand, you had to admire their pride, to show the world they had nothing to be ashamed of who they are.

On the other hand - I noted their avoidance of common sense over pride. Wandering around and trying to make a point in a conservative, blue collar town - where the sons and daughters automatically go into the armed services and many townfolk are related to people who died.

There have been reports of people celebrating - in the New York area - the fall of the towers. In the New York area.

And in this atmosphere - they were trying to make a point.

Didnt these folk realize it is beyond foolhardy to 'make a point' when people are looking for ANY indication of disrespect?

I made it a point to hang back from them.

Common sense.
---------
I showed the sicilian ladies my pictures from yesterday.

It is a picture of the Katyn Forest memorial in Exchange Place, with the smoking hole right behind it.

In New York nowadays, that smoking hole is not so affectionately referred to as "The Pit".

"When you make this one into a poster, I want copies. Ok?"

When I can make it happen, and can afford to - I will.
--------

No comments: