Sunday, October 14, 2001

Todays horrorscope....

VIRGO
Your money worries will come to an end this week, not because you win the lottery or inherit a fortune (GODDAMIT. Heh. -ed), but because you suddenly realize how silly it is to get worked up about cash, possessions and other material things.
Strangely, the moment you stop worrying about dollars and cents is the moment when it becomes easier to make money, simply because the fear of losing what you own no longer holds you back.
Doesnt quite cure that ongoing agita in my stomach, but *hokay*......

--------
On a somewhat related note...

2:30 am

I am in a cramped and busy shop silkscreening "God Bless America" on handwoven indian cotton placemats.

And it doesnt seem strange at all.

A week ago, I knew jack shit and less about all screen printing and the business of t-shirts.

A lot can happen in a few days.

Not long ago, I had a panic attack. I stood in the middle of my darkened apartment and said to myself..

"What the fuck???? T-SHIRTS??? Im doin' fucking T-SHIRTS??? What the FUCK am I THINKING???"

The dry heaves lasted the rest of the day, although I eventually calmed the hell down, if still a bit tense to this day.

Yes, Im selling fucking t-shirts on the way to my dream of being a publisher.

The guy who owns the business calls me up..
(Imagine an Archie Bunker-Soprano's-Joe Pesci wise-guy accent..)

"Jo-ey!"
"Yah."
"Whats yer dream car?"
"Dream car? Tha fuck.. I dunno. I dont think about that crap."
"Duznt maattah. Think. about. yer. dream. car. Which one do ya want?"
"Shit.. I dunno." *thinks* "Okay.. a Mercedes E550.."
"A mercedes, eh?"
"Yeah."
"How much does wunna dem cost?"
"I dunno.. about 70 - 80 G's nowadays."
"Yeah? Awright. You an me. Next week. We gonna go to a mercedes dealership, go pick one out. I always wanted a mercedes."
"What th..."
"You heard me. Jo-ey. We are gonna fuckin make a LOTTA fuckin money, you hear me?"
"Uh-huh."
"JO-EY. Trust me. Its gonna *fuckin'* happen."

I would normally think that someone who talks like this has lost his everlovin' mind.

Except for the fact that I know he himself isnt exactly hurting in the funds department. And his business is busier than ever.

What fuckin recession?

As we are working late into the night, shooting the shit...
"Remember I told you when we first met that you looked familiar?"
*shrug* "Yeah, but I get that a lot."
"Im tellin ya. *You* looked fuckin' familiar. You know why?"
"Why?"
"Because...." And this is the first I'd ever heard him at a loss for words.. "..Its like I was WAITING for you.. like I saw you and recognised you and it was like .."
"Heh. Like 'Where the hell you been!.."
"EXACTLY!"

My mind wryly went back to the day I was introduced to tisha. Yeah, I know the feeling well.
"Look. This is what I believe." he continued. "There are things in life we have no control over. And then there are things that we DO have control over. And the things we DO have control over are set out for us. We have SO much control over that shit that its ridculous. Its all so fuckin' simple. But, we make them so goddamned complicated that we sit down and THINK about it, making life MORE complicated than it really is."

I didnt really answer.. I just went "Hmm" and continued thinking....
-----------

Comment on the above from a man who lives in car mad Cally, where Mercedes and Beemers are as common as Fords in the real world...

B.Y: and don't say a mercedes... :p
JPennant: Or mebbe an Audi S8
JPennant: You forget, this is the side of the country where them fancy cars arent parked on every other block. :-P
B.Y: heh, i'll be posting a "typical" LA shot on my site later on, with a merc in the shot :p
JPennant: heehee

ACTUALLY, I wouldnt mind a BMW 540i or M5, but shit - a black man driving a Bimmer on the East Coast is BEYOND stereotypical.

Nah. I dont need New Jersey state 5-0's having a friendly chat with me on a daily basis.
-----
JPennant: lemme stop thinking and therefore complicating what isnt complicated at all.
george: Good idea.



No comments: