Tuesday, November 27, 2001

"Home is where the heart is."

I think thats the proper quote.. if not, it should be "Where the heart is, there's home".

I havent been 'home' to NJ since Thanksgiving day. My stubble is almost a week old.

- I missed the Macy's parade, again. Never seen it live in all the years Ive been in NYC for thanksgiving.

Eh, the current flu/allergy bug hit my sinuses with a vengeance and I was loath to drag myself outta bed, even for turkey.

But, when it finally got dark, i figgered I might as well not break my 'home to Ma's for thanksgiving' 15 year streak, and head out.

For my trouble I got written up for a ticket for not having a ticket on the light rail.

Gah.

Hopefully, giving them a slightly different address and SSN than reality will slow that process down.

Ma thought I wasnt gonna show, but was almost near tears that I did. Thanksgiving means a lot to her.
-----
Turns out another reason Ma was hoping Id show, she was packing to go to Jamaica on the first plane out the next morn - and she needed some help to the airport.

She was kinda nervous about flying, even though she is a grizzled world traveller, specially since Air Jamaica flies those Airbus A-300s.

When she gets quiet and un-restless (highly unusual), she wants company and comfort.
So I was pleasant and accomodating about it (highly unusual).

Whoo. Theyre not playing at JFK. There were lines of passengers down the *car* ramp, 2 hours before liftoff.

Surreal to see crowds of humanity in the darkness before dawn. Usually, the place is deserted at 5:30am.

I used to be able to accompany Ma past check-in to the gate .
This time, I wasnt even allowed to step INSIDE the building.Unless you had a ticket .. no one was.

The xray machines are now at the door. My god.







------
I hadnt intended on spending the weekend in NY.

Im still here.

Eh, what else am I gonna do.
------
Random Crown Heights, Brooklyn..


Fulton and Nostrand

Nah, golden krust is NOT the world's best patties.

Hell, theyre not even the best patties in New York.


B44 bus
Nostrand and Atlantic



Nostrand and Sterling




A-Train station
Nostrand and Fulton



On the A-train
----------
There are signs, with law enforcement busy on security details, that New York is slipping back into hellhole mode.

More shootings lately, as more are wandering around with guns, confident that 5-0 isnt about to frisk them. And the squeegee guys are popping up again.

My personal barometer, gained in the 80's when much of the boroughs were indeed god's green hell's acre, is when New Yorkers start double parking.

I kid you not. An accurate early warning sign as Ive ever seen, as New Yorkers start feeling they can get away with shit.

If they dont feel like there arent personal consequences to their actions, they start doing whatever they want.

The cops were doing a good job of making sure there were consequences.

In fact, before 9/11 - I used to see patrol cars all over Brooklyn.

This past week, I may have seen one.

Uh-oh.

At least the garbage is still being picked up.




No comments: