Friday, January 04, 2002

"You've got to..
Know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
Know when to run.."
- The Gambler

Almost ten years ago, I picked up a book entitled "Know when to leave", a slim paperback on figuring out the best time to leave your job.
Because it was in the bargain bin for 50 cents, I picked it up - even though I *thought* I didnt really need it, what with the "well-paying and secure" job I thought I had at the time.

Good thing I picked it up. That book, long gone, really opened my eyes.

The reason I mention this, is that of all the things I regret most in hindsight, the most deeply felt is..
"I shoulda left that (job/relationship/place/situation) sooner."

It BUGS me when I reflect afterward and think, "I SHOULDA left earlier. I *knew* it back then too."

That is one life skill that I wish I could hone, as it requires one to reconcile gut feelings with clear reasoning.

The two are often incompatible.

My point is... I think its definitely time now.

Im not in the mood for regrets.
----------
God, Ive ALWAYS wanted to take a cross-country train trip.

That would mean Id be cut off from the Internet for five days tho ... hmmmm.

Yeah, my feet are definitely getting itchy.

I was reading the current issue of ESPN magazine, where they recounted the tale of a kid who HITCHIKED from Philly to San Fran with naught but 20 bux in his pocket.

Hell, I drove around the East Coast once starting out with less than 600 bux, ending up with money to spare.

So, sheeyit...



No comments: