Saturday, February 02, 2002

Sun gave me a reminder as to why Im getting antsy..

NY808: hiking in rain forests was my fave pastime
JPennant: cool :-)
NY808: and itd be only a 20-30 ride to a trail
NY808: here you have to drive hours
JPennant: no you dont
NY808: so where can i find a good trail 20-30 from queens?
NY808: other than central park
JPennant: Palisades. Across the river.
NY808: so much to do here! i just need a hiking buddy
NY808: oh..and time
NY808: damn it
JPennant: yep

I aint going hiking anytime soon, but not being able to go walking is getting to me.

When I first got to New York, my first instinct was to raise my hand and yell "Taxi". City blocks INTIMIDATED me. I even took a cab to go TWO city blocks. More often than I care to admit to.
New Yorkers would look at me as if I were daft.

Now, Id rather walk, if only to the nearest train station.

Even in effing Bayonne, NJ - where you absolutely need a car, eventually Id walk everywhere.

Sturtle writes:
You get to walk in New York--which is, you know, a good thing. In fact, New York is probably the most perambulophilic (I just made that up!) city in the country, maybe the world.

For the rest of Americans, walking is something we do only sporadically--maybe in the middle of the night, we get to walk to the bathroom, or when we want to distribute a memo to our coworkers about the need to practice aiming at the toilet instead of the tissue rack we walk to the copy machine, but otherwise, we hop in our cars, drive the 20 feet to the 7-11, and circle the parking lot for 20 minutes trying to find a spot five feet closer to the door.

But in New York, you wanna get somewhere? Walk outside, two blocks down to the train station, get on, get off, then hike six blocks over, one block up, to visit your friend who lives in a 5th floor walk-up. Life in New York is conducive to great calves and even better asses.

Thats prolly why, Jules - I cant even imagine living in the LA area. Even when I get my license all paid off.

No comments: