Monday, February 24, 2003

Omelette au gratin au fish

"Here man, eat this omelette.. Im full." and hands me a takeout box.

"Whats in it?"

"Its got potatoes."


What he didnt mention was that it also had .. fresh salmon.

Not the farm raised or nasty smoked kind where they dye salmon flesh red for that illusion of freshness.

Fresh pink salmon.

The other day I was in a restaurant. Had a ten dollar burger.

The theme of this restaurant was ginger. *shrug* Hey, I love the all-garlic restaurant.

Anyway, I was munching on the multi-colored french fries, and I exclaimed - "Wow. This is really good. Whats in it?"

Now, to explain the reaction I got to this question, I have to say this.

Californians expect you to KNOW certain things, otherwise - as famously open-minded as they try to be - they WILL look at you like a dumbass if you ask certain stupid questions.

Like "Whats in my french fries?"

So after the "you unsophisticated dumbass" look from the people around the table, they answer..

"Its got taro in it."

Taro root.

"Oh." I answer. "Its good."

I didnt exactly burn from embarrasment, cuz well - theyre Californians.

So, fresh salmon and potatoes in my omelette?

What could I say?

"Cool."

Cuz well, Im in California.

Duh.

No comments: