Sunday, March 16, 2003

Low. Rye. Duhrrr.

"Yeah.. thas one of my favorite songs from the 80's. Im not sure, but I THINK it was done by Randy Newman."
"Randy Newman? "Short People" Randy Newman?? Nah. No way."
"I could swear it is."

Being the Virgo that I am, I didnt forget the conversation, and I now had to find out fer sure.

I was wrong. BOY, was I wrong.

"Low Rider", the penultimate Cali/Barrio/Carculture song, was originally done by the group War, a band originally formed in the early SIXTIES.
This, the same band that did the jump up ditties "Why Cant We Be Friends", "Cisco Kid", "Summer" and "LA Sunshine" as well as "The World is a Ghetto", later covered by George Benson.

Whats more, my memory had pegged the song to the eighties. Nuh-uh. 1975.

Wait, there's more!

The reason why my memory was so fresh on the song was that BARRY WHITE covered it, almost note for note, in 1999. AND that cover was produced by.. wait for it.. Sean "PuffDaddy" Combs.

*blink*

Among other movie soundtracks, that cover appeared in the flick "Gone in 60 Seconds".

And with ZZ Top, Santana and others (a shitty Cypress Hill remix doesnt qualify) having covered it over the years, no effing wonder I was a confused puppy.

So, I listened to the covers..

No. Dont even waste yer time.

Listen to the rough weed- and liquor-soaked R&B/Latin/Jazz mix of the original.

The original and still the best.

Low. Rye. Duhrrr...


No comments: