Tuesday, June 24, 2003

Philosophy 101

I stood at the hall of the church, watching people of all races, situtations and conditions lining up for a free meal (you dont HAVE to go hungry in Berkeley)...

I just felt right about now, I should be paying attention.

Early in college, during the madd crush of registration, I had my list of classes, with the alternates picked out. For one of my humanities requirements, I had Philosophy 101 picked as my 4th or 5th humanities alternate.

Didnt think I'd EVER go anywhere near the subject, the chances of having to do an alternate picked because I couldnt think of anything else being slim and none.

Of course, thats exactly what I was assigned.

I grumbled a bit.. a lot.. until I took my first class and had my tiny little mind blown.

Holy shit, batman - I thought, this dares me to question god, perspective and reality! Can I DO that??

And it became my second major.

I didnt care for it, but Im very glad it was assigned to me.

Right now, my circumstances feel as if Ive been assigned Philosophy 101 all over again.

School is in session.

-------


While chowing down..


green eye'd guy: "... man, I eat GOOD here in Berkeley. Im ready to get OFF this homeless train... but I tell ya, Berkeley feeds you WELL."
the graffiti tagger: "Shoot, if you choose to go hungry here in Berkeley, the police should lock you UP for your own protection."
-----
Me: "Im gonna write that line down. 'Ive sold kilos of cocaine, bushels of weed, dealt hairawn and theyre gonna put me away for JAYWALKING'."
Chorus from tagger and greeneyes: "Youre the JOURNALIST!! We were saying there was SOME guy in there who was doing this to write a book."
Me: "Hell you probably got two or THREE guys doin that."

---
Sometimes doing the things other people dont want to do is the best thing for you. Builds character and whatnot..

My girl isnt too happy about all this, natch.

JPennant: the guys there tho have to do chores tho
JPennant: I took the one no one wanted
angelz: which is?
JPennant: cleaning the showers
angelz: :-(
angelz: you did?
JPennant: sure
JPennant: I wore gloves and used a lot of bleach
angelz: uh huh
angelz: wish i could have helped
JPennant: heheh
JPennant: hell, *I* gotta shower there. I want it spotless.
JPennant: even with shower shoes
angelz: now you know i wouldnt do that just for anyone ;-)
JPennant: no? :-)
angelz: hell no
JPennant: *muah

Thas mah girl. :-)

Did I mention she's one HELL of a woman?

Thank god this isnt forever.


No comments: