Monday, August 25, 2003

A Moment of Qua

Ive always
come to understand that an epiphany occurs when a moment of pure clarity, understanding, instinct, intent and expectation occurs all at once.

A "aha' moment. Or a "Oh HELL No" moment.

That moment came to me after last night when someone asked "Are you gonna get a van, Joe?"

This is a question Ive been asked before, in all seriousness around the Bay, as they envision living rent free, wherever they feel in a van or RV.

Me? Oh HELL No.

The question goes beyond simply owning a van. It means a whole mode of life. Of living most of thje time in a van, RV or camper.

Fuck no.

The epiphany came as I wandered Berkeley late last night, by countless vans and RV's parked, their owners trying to get some shuteye.

Hamid's girlfriend once offered me her Westfalia Camper Van. I had demurred, citing not having a valid DL. But REALLY, I didnt want to own, operate or be in such a vehicle year round.

Everytime Ive been asked, Ive reiterated my desire for a station wagon, or maybe a minivan, to be able to do my work, help me with the business and OCCASIONALLY, sleep in when Im on location somewhere.

But live in? Fuck no.

I need a home-base. Which doesnt simply mean an area that Im based, but a HOME. It could be in the wilds of montana, california or the canyons of NY, but somewhere to hang my hat, even if its only a few months out of the year.

I have no intention of living at a LCD level forever.

HELL no.
-------
I know that I said I lust after a Volvo station wagon, (by the way trend watchers, old Volvo Station Wagons are becoming a vehicle of choice among uber-hip urban fellows....), or an Audi Avant Quattro



But in truth, this is what I REALLY want









yes, indeedy. :-D

*sigh*

Unfortunately, this also raises issues of running a complex, expensive and conspicuous vehicle. The maintenance, insurance, theft-worthiness offsets the coolness and driving factors.

But most of all, this vehicle falls under the dreaded "DWB" level.

The likelihood of being pulled over for Driving While Black is high in vehicles like this.

Trust me, the experience gets old rapidly.

*sigh*

Still, it would be nice, very nice..

No comments: