Saturday, September 06, 2003

Brown like me

Like most
folk of African descent on this side of the world, Im a mutt of various races. We come in all shades of brown, pink and yellow.

My family (through mater and pater) is on generally the medium to-light brown side, but we progress between several shades depending on the ambient sunlight.

In other words, we tan. And thats not a joke.

Whenever I'd pick up my father at the airport from his trips to Jamaica, I'd hardly recognize him. He gets DARK under the caribbean sun, reflecting his patrilineage.

Im incapable of getting that dark, as I sunburn.

But.

Ive been out and about under the sun alot lately, and while checking my lip today (little or no swelling), I realized my lips have actually turned brown from the usual dark red.

Wow. Talk about California UV.

My face is about 2 shades darker than my mien, which usually doesnt get much darker than that.

My lips turning brown, thats sorta disconcerting.

But I think I like it.

No comments: