Thursday, October 30, 2003

A pet peeve


The road to hell is paved with good intentions

Yeah, but I like how Harvey Pekar put it in an American Splendor strip...
"I think I know the answer.

She had good intentions, but good intentions come cheap. It's easy to make promises, give assurances. Her execution was lousy, though.

A person with good intentions who promises things and is too lazy to come through is often more harmful than a malicious person. A malicious person is easier to spot. You can be on guard against him.

Plus, if he's interested enough in you to try to hurt you.. if you can convert him, maybe you'll have a friend..

They promise you things because they want to seem agreeable. They dont keep their promises because its too much trouble. They keep on breaking their word because theyre seldom penalized for it.

It's accepted behavior in our society, like being fashionably late for dinner."
- Harvey Pekar w/Robert Crumb, American Splendor comics

Hypocrisy disclaimer:

Ive done all of the above, Im sorry and I promise never to do it again.

Say that after me.

But the keen thing about writing that makes it better than arts and crafts at Bellevue..

"I was gonna write this jive woman a nasty letter, but a guy at work talked me out of it..

So I sublimated by writing this story... That's about what I can do when things bother me --

Write stories about them."



No comments: