Wednesday, October 29, 2003

Winter weather

Winter weather, in Jamaica, happens around November, December, January.

Not much changes really, except that the temperature drops to the 60's and the wind gets real brisk (in the speed as well as temperature sense).

Sometimes, there is a hurricane or two.

In practical terms for me, it was sweater weather and kite-flying weather. An occasion to build bamboo and rice-paper kites (usually a hexagonal frame with a long stabilizing tail made of knotted strips of cloth, with a 'buzzer' strip). A winter tradition.

Flying your kite in stiff breezes, hundreds of feet high, running to get it aloft (sometimes hopping aboard my schwinn to get the necessary speed), our faces burning in the chill.

The stiff chill breezes that have returned to coastal california must be allaying the fears of the people afraid of a conflagration in the hills. They turned on the air-conditioning in their vehicles in celebration. (America, trust me, I didnt misquote. Dont ask me why.)

But for me, it brought back memories of sunny days, chilly weather and flying kites in the tropics.

Summer is over.

No comments: