Thursday, July 29, 2004

Looking ahead

In exactly
one month, Im gonna be 40.

Acceptance is hard, man.

I remember the cruel jokes I flung at my big brother on his 40th, who good-humoredly took the jibes, paused, smiled and said "It'll be your turn next."

Shoo, I was still in my mid-thirties. A long time. I laughed and made more jokes.

5 years later, it's coming to pass.

But I know what I will be doing on that day.

Denny's. Ben and Jerry's. Baskin-Robbins. Free birthday breakfast, lunch and dinner.

And ice-cream.

Im gonna hit every single one in the city.

Free, free, free. :-)

**(scratch that. Denny's doesnt do free birthday meals anymore.)
-----
The other day, riding on the F-Market trolley up Market Street to the Castro, I saw an empty parking lot .. and I thought the Bagdad Cafe had been torn down.

Guh. It was one of those times that I was hating change, as the old disappears, replaced by something else, the experience a mere memory unlikely to be shared by others.

Good thing I was mistaken.

Whoo.

Turned out it was a little further up the street, still in the same place.

Back in 2002, I had celebrated a midnight birthday there.

Good times.

In 2003 I was outside in Berkeley.

I barely remember that one.

I do remember enjoying it tho.

Doing what I want to do, when I want.
--------
On rotation
Sarah smile - Hall & Oates


Its hard for me to appreciate that this is a Hall & Oates song.

Its one of those songs, like Earth, Wind & Fire's "Love Holiday" that is simply perfect, just by the melody and harmony and defies categorization.

That's why I start singing along when I hear it.

Even tho I sing like dirt. :)










No comments: