Saturday, August 21, 2004

Im gonna hang them on my wall. Once I get a wall.

On
rotation

Jurassic 5 - The Lesson


As soon as I played the 'warp speed' VW commercial, (thanks for pointing it out mistah B :) I knew I'd heard the music before.

Ah yes, Jurassic Five's instrumental reprise of 'The Lesson'. Id first heard the disctinctive opening from one of DJ Salty's (aka Rebecca Cherkoss) mixes.

Its not a hummable tune, but you never forget it once youve heard it.

"Lets mix the music of Led Zeppelin and Frank Sinatra together. Edit: NO." heheh.
------------
Oft-times, it feels like everybody in the Bay Area is an artist.

And when I say 'artist', I mean people who do it because its what they do, and any real job they do is just 'to feed the addiction', as one artist put it to me.

I kin relate.

Now, I have several simple criterion for the art that I like... if it hits me in the gut while I can see it hanging on my wall.

One of my favorites is a transplanted New Yorker, Michael Johnson, who sells his prints on Saturdays at the Embarcadero.

Personable, engaging, his prints are sharp, stunningly printed and keeps you looking.

There are 2 of his prints i want: Lady of the Night Light, Havana and a black and white of the Golden Gate.

Trust me, it has to be exceptional for me to want something I can do myself. His work is.

Then, Zanne Christensen, a transplanted (notice how this word keeps cropping up talking about folk in the Bay Area) upper midwesterner.

I saw her paintings from half a block away. Drawn to the colors man.

Now, this is stuff I cant do, but I can already see her stuff on my walls.

And I usually dont 'get' abstracts. Hers speak to me.

And there are others, but part of the fun of SF is speaking to the arts.

And if god is my witness, I'll be collecting a few before Im done.
---------

No comments: