Thursday, September 23, 2004

In my Morning Marn:

I still look as if I was run over by a truck, but it looks like the work of a kindler, gentler truck.
As the surgeon promised, today I don?t have pain...

Bye bye Percocet. It was fun while it lasted
.


She's recovering from skin cancer surgery, and it looks like her prognosis is excellent. (They never say 'cured' with cancer).

Of this Im glad.

And marn being marn - She just sent me an email of concern for *me*

> As for your fine self, if you can, get yourself a
> wide
> brimmed hat, m'dear. Skin colour doesn't protect
> like
> it used to -- there was a black man in the skin
> cancer
> surgery queue at my surgeon's on Tuesday.
>
> We all be vulnerable to the increased UV that's
> getting through.
>
> xxxooo
> Marn

absolutely. Specially since I grew up in the tropics and the harsh sunlight of Cali not to be messed with.

In fact, Ive had benign skin melanomas on my forearms, since I was a teen. Only if you look closely, would you see the slightly lighter spots from them being scraped off. Yeah, they were caught early, and its been over 20 years hence - but im aware it could come back at anytime.

skin cancer is fairly common in jamaica, specially with those of mixed race. My mix being primarily of brown west african and south asian, the melanin is there for me, but that pesky scots somewhere in there warning of some susceptibility.

I do wear a cap nowadays, not to hide the grey hair or any balding (nope, if pops is any indication, it all falls out at once in my mid-sixties), but because the sun is strong even in NorCal.

In any case, Im glad Ms Marn is doing well, and so apparently are her 3 (million) loyal readers.

Im glad for her Quebec Medical card too.

Still Marn, I'll stick to my daily baseball cap, or -oooh - a cowboy hat. But a floppy brimmed hat?

Dont think so.







No comments: