Thursday, September 09, 2004

Let the good times roll, Way way back

This morn
in the shower, i was singing Peggy Lee's - He's A Tramp, (I was sounding GOOD too, I might add), and that came to mind music I used to hear and sing to when I was a kid.

In fact, one of my favorite childhood memories was in my mother's birthplace of Runaway Bay, joining us on our summer vacation from The City, a rare thing. We were on the porch of the Family Minto Big House (my great-grandfather's great house), the radio was playing on a warm early august afternoon, my Ma grabbed us and swing-danced with us to Chubby Checkers - The Twist and other hits from the 40's and 50's, her pleated skirt swinging out wide, pure joy on her face. it was then I could see her as a bobby-soxed teenager in the 50's.

She said she didnt remember such frivolity. :)

A coupla years ago, Poo and I were discussing our favorite old music, and she brought up Louis Jordan's - Caledonia from 1945.

"Caledonia! CALDONIA! WHAT. MAKES. YOUR. BIG. HEAD. SO. HARD!!"

Hee.

That opening guitar riff kickin' shit off can be heard on many songs from the 50's, 60's and 70's .. ripped wholesale.

So, as i sit here, Im riding the wayback machine with these


Louis Jordan - Aint nobody her but us chickens
Peggy Lee - fever
Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Jordan - Baby, It's Cold outside
Louis Jordan - knock me a kiss
Peggy Lee - Why Dont You do Right
Denise Williams - silly

(I know thats from the 80's, but its in the mix)

Louis Jordan - Choo choo cha boogie
Peggy Lee - He's a Tramp
louis Jordan - Let the good times roll
Peggy Lee w/ Benny Goodman - The Way You Look Tonight
Louis Jordan - Beware, brother, beware
Peggy Lee - Hey Big Spender
Louis Jordan - Got my Mojo Workin'


I may not have been born when they come out, but I appreciate them more now.

Good times, indeed.

No comments: