Wednesday, January 03, 2001

"Because of an emergency, the train will be held in the station."


A collective groan went up from the Boat-bound people trapped at the Cortland Street/World Trade Center Staten Island ferry bound platform. That usually means some idjit went and had a heart-attack on the train previous, meaning service all the way up the line was now at a halt.

We were missing the Ferry.

We were only two stops away from the Ferry station, and this?

I was feeling a few chest-pains myself from this agita.

So were folk on the train.

Some people jumped off, as per New York usual, to walk down to the ferry, and others (me) settled in for a wait.

Then I heard some stinging profanities on the train platform, with the train motorman calling to that someone to come on up to the head of the train if they would like to 'talk' up close and personal.

Hey now. Entertainment.

New Yorkers may act blase, but this time heads craned out of every car to see what was up.

The travelling curse machine walked by the car, apparently to take the motorman at his word.

Shortly followed by a detachment of tough looking plain clothes cops attached to the World Trade Center.

About ten of them. A veritable Five-oh parade.

Now, here's the thing.. I wasnt so much interested in the altercation (them being a fairly common occurence in NY where people act up to get attention and make themselves heard), but I kinda pride myself on being able to sense out a plain-clothed officer.

Ok. One, two, three.. sure enough. Dressed down, but dressed too 'clean' to be your average working slobs...

Waitaminnit.... four, five, six... those are cops?????.. they look like part of the problem.. oooh, hip-hop brother just whipped out a radio.

Well, waddya know.

Within seconds of .. "Hey there, come over here.. we wanna talk to you.." the previously verbose individual was handcuffed and breathing through a grate.

Wow. No.. most of these guys, I wouldnt have picked apart from a crowd.

Although, every single one of them had a diamond stud in his ear. Innaresting.

Later, I was told the loud dude had tried to rob someone, but was too drunk and stupid to be effective (ie, was trapped on the train).

Hey, NY entertainment. Cant beat it.
---------------
At 8 am, Tish called to set a hookup time. We decided on noon.

At 8:10 am , I flipped the phone closed and decided to take a half-hour nap, HappyCat curled up against me on the covers.

At 11:15am, I was awakened by a client calling to set a time to come by tomorrow and resuscitate his two laptops.

Uh-oh.

At 1:15pm, I walked in to her favorite Thai place in Manhattan, apologising profusely.

At 2:15pm, we were in Radio Shack as she got herself a cell phone, promising that next time I would be called on the hour, every hour to get my ass up and away from HappyCat....
-------------

Glad to see
Winnie and Cyn back in the states.

England, I would definitely like to check out, specially as I have aunts, uncles and cousins there..

But Japan? I wold have to have a GOOD reason to be there I think..

----------

Diaryland's Shlippy, aka Cosmic Amanda said something profound that, although I might take issue with, was nonetheless still hella profound...

"See, the thing is, I've never in my life met anyone with a heart as big and open as Neil's," I found myself muttering wistfully.

Lynn sighed dreamily, so I added, "but, he's not so bright, and I think that's the connection. In order to be able to be so pure of heart and willing to love he can't be smart. Any intelligent person would long have become hopelessly jaded by now..."


Yow.

Its been said before, but.. makes ya think, dunnit.
-----------------

Although I didnt see much much of my girl as she whirlwinded through the holidays, (those eyes told me I was missed, and again I rediscovered that the connection is still strong), she's headed to the west coast for the first time.

I think she'll have a ball, being a Cali kinda girl herself.

Good thing she made sure we hooked up before she left.

"We/I" was getting too used to being detached.

Not a good way to be if she's gonna be gonna be outta the area fer awhile.

Maybe I'll get a haircut while she's gone.

I need to be spiffier. (re: Resolution on being a better man).
-------------

No comments: