Wednesday, January 31, 2001

My family used to be amused by how, after coming into respective homesteads (Chicago or New York) from wherever Id been, I would simply fall asleep spontaneously - often in mid-sentence.
That was my body forcing me to get some sleep. Which it usually does, because I would rather stay awake doing whatever.

Today, that happened to me.

I had planned to get into Brooklyn, see some folk, take care of business - in spite of the "wrath of Zeus"-like heavy winds and rains falling outside.

I stood there, dressed, running through my pre-going out checklist, when all of a sudden - I felt the need to lay on the couch and close my eyes just for a few minutes.

Except for stirring when Rich got home in the late evening, I got off the couch at 3am.

When the need catches up, it sure catches up.
----------------
On one of my rare morning appearances on AIM, an ex-Street.com co-worker who had moved from NYC popped on to say hello.

Right now, she is trying to start her own business.. and knowing just how hard that is.. I offered my sympathies.

She retorted "Im not merely broke, Im Po". (Southern emphasis for being "dirt-poor".)

I said "Baby, there's no shame in being broke. But I will never admit to being poor - because that is a state of mind."

She appreciated that. :-)

I was talking to Tish the other night, telling her although I knew what I needed to do, the prospects seem unsure, and I didnt know if I would be making much money.

In an example of of how she says exactly the right thing with me to get me motivated, she didnt merely mouth an empty "it'll be ok etc".

She fixed me with that fierce glare, and with an edge of sisu in her voice, said "Whatever you do, You WILL make good money."

Not try. Do. Not hope. Will.

Because it wasnt just about me.

Yep. Exactly what I needed to hear.

Poor is a state of mind.
--------------
My photos suck.

Ive been determined never to fall into the syndrome of not taking pictures because I get tired, but my recent photos are lacking in something.

Good. When Im dissatisfied, that means - I need a different perspective.

Granted these last few months of poverty and instability arent conducive to being able to focus.. that is no excuse.

I am dissatisfied with my pictures.

They will get better.
-------------------------------

No comments: