Tuesday, February 20, 2001

I am craving:

- The best cheesecake in New York.

Havent found it yet.

All the guides for NY say its Juniors, on Flatbush in downtown Brooklyn.
Bullshit. That crumbly crap is not worth crossing the Brooklyn Bridge for.

The best New York Cheesecake Ive had was in Chicago at a now defunct NY style deli (that now houses a Kinko's), across the street from the Northwestern campus in downtown Evanston.

Ooh, its been nearly 12 years - and my mouth still waters at the memory of that 3 inch high platter of graham crust, creamy cheese feeling and mile high topping of strawberries. Mmm.
The jewish owners of that place assured me that such goodness was commonplace in New York.
I have not found anything like it so far in NY. Im still looking.

Although, the ricotta cheesecake served at Pellegrino's in Little Italy aint at all shabby.

- A genuwine phat Jamaican Tastee style beef patty.

Next to Jamaica and Miami.. New York must be the beef patty capital of the world.

You can get it almost anywhere. Almost any deli or bodega will have it.

So why am I now having a hard time finding that quintessential combination of thickly ground spiced beef and flaky pastry crust?

It used to be, they were baked on premises.

Now, theyre frozen at factories and shipped to everywhere, where theyre essentially reheated .

Not the same thing.

Not sublime goodness that can be found easily anymore.

My luck to be jonesing for it right now.

Heh. Jules of NY kept repeating .. "mmm.. I want beef patty.." the other day as I mentioned it.
Right now, so do I.

Fuck the cold tomorrow evening. Brooklyn, here I come.

- Bagels

Mmm. The place by Kates house in Bay Ridge has their 3.99 for a dozen special on Wednesdays.

Surprisingly, apart from the breakfast cart on the corner of 50th and Broadway - I havent found anything as good.

I'm there.

- Chinese

It has sucked royally here on Staten Island.

I am so jonesing to go walkabout in Chinatown....

Im blaming Kate for making me hungry today.

No comments: