Wednesday, May 02, 2001

The Chicago Metro area, loosely defined, covers 4 states.

(Essentially the contiguous states lining the lower shores of Lake Michigan: Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana and Michigan.)

The New York Metro area, covers the states lining the Long Island Tidal Basin: New Jersey, New York and Connecticut.

Here's the thing though... you may regard a metropolitan area, for practical purposes, as defined by the area's dominant city. Everything revolves around it.

Then you hit hard upon the reality that these are different STATES with significant differences in the way they operate.
They could be different countries, the differences can be so fundamental.

Which is why I now have to leave the state to go to the closest local branch of my bank... which ironically, is a humungous GLOBAL bank.

*grumble*

Which means my checks are now out-of-state checks, with all the associated hassles and joy that designation brings.

*bitch moan*

Metropolis, my ass......

*crank*
----------------------------------
Geek, geek, geek............

JPennant: God help me, Im gonna become a hacker again :-)
McClint: hahaha how so?
McClint: you found a security hole in the pentagon?
JPennant: Kid is hooking me up
JPennant: remember Jon Y?

('Kid' is what we called Jon, as he was the only minor working at AOL. He was one of those supranaturally bright kids who, when bored, redline IQ tests. He hacked into the main AOL servers for fun within days of arriving. We are glad he's not evil..... )

McClint: yeah i think so
JPennant: he is running three unix boxes at his house.
McClint: damn
JPennant: He's setting me up as a user on one of them. I had my choice of
Slackware, Redhat or NetBSD.
McClint: hahaha
McClint: and he's just gonna let you tinker and poke around?
JPennant: yep. Heehee.

Several hours later......

Yeah well.
It's not like riding a bicycle.
Ive had my head in "Unix fer Idjits" for hours now, and I havent gotten beyond listing files.

No, Im nowhere near being able to blow up the world yet......
--------------------------

No comments: