Friday, August 31, 2001

More Virgo Gone Bad tendencies...

(I just like that phrase :-)

_______
Why I:

Buy and read all the newspapers I can get in a particular area on my birthday.

It started in Chicago, living on my own and going to school - I would get and clip the birthday horoscopes from the Chicago Tribune and Chicago Sun-Times.

It really got nuts and became a birthday 'tradition' that has now become a determinedly mindless habit when I had LOTS o' free time in Jacksonville, Florida - where I would get The Jacksonville Times-Union, Gainesville Sun, Orlando Sentinel, Miami Herald and Atlanta... *scritch head*.. something or another Constitution...

I would actually READ all these papers, have a good meal, hang with a few friends on occasion.. but that established my 'tradition' of taking a day off and spending a quiet day by myself.

On occasion, Ive been thrown parties - and the unfortunate planners have been bitten by what seemed like my particularly ungrateful churlishness. Its not that I didnt or dont appreciate the thought or effort, but shit... I just want to chill, read my papers and not have to put my social face on.
(What social face is that? folk will ask...)

People get much props from me just for remembering that it is my birthday. I really dont need anything else.

So, it may seem strange to some that I went walkabout by myself the other day.

The truth was I was actually trying to find someone to hang out on the town with. But the Usual Suspects had made other plans or were unavailable.

Alone Again, Naturally. (Thats a song, by the way...)

So I said "Phucket".. and took off.

But I still made it a point to buy all the papers for that day.

Being the New York Area.. it was a rich haul.. The Times, Daily News, Post, Newsday, and then added, the Jersey Journal (Bayonne Edition), Newark Star-Ledger, North Jersey Record.
I coulda gotten more, but after awhile you just end up reading the same wire reports, comics and horoscopes, so that was it.

Im still wading through them.

By the way, Ive never found the yearly astrological forecasts in the newspapers to be even remotely accurate.

But I still clip 'em.

It's a tradition.
-------------
I went walkabout, so the random pix theme for the day.. people walking about....


PATH Station, Journal Square, Jersey City


34th and Broadway



Times Square Area













----------
Oh yeah.. i had my Birthday Meal from a dominican place in Journal Square, Jersey City



Lessee.. yer lookin at yellow rice and beans, stewed chicken, spaghetti and chicken and sweet fried plaintain on the side there.

Very good, very filling..

The North Jersey area has garnered a growing reputation of having excellent ethnic restaurants, above and beyond yer standard high and low-end fare of NYC.

So far, so good. :-)

No comments: