Sunday, September 02, 2001

One unexpected snag Ive come across in explaining the concept of "Itinerant" ..

Im finding a dismayingly large number of people .. aka: ADULTS.. who dont know what the word 'Itinerant' means.

Even when I say "a wanderer, traveler", some still stare at the word soundlessly, trying to process the concept.

Uh-oh.

The Cappy, my business partner, suggested I make t-shirts with the definition on the back.

As Lissa and I were later chortling about the need to put an ironic definition of what seemed to be such an obvious term on a t-shirt, something bugged at me...

Maybe the term DOES need to be defined properly.

Yes, its true. "One who wanders and travels" does NOT capture the full scope of the term. It is not enough.

But I was at a loss to find words that did, and so did dictionary.com.

Hm. So, I check thesaurus.com and it gives me some nouns to chew on:

traveler, wayfarer, voyager, passenger
tourist, excursionist, explorer, adventurer, rover, straggler, rambler, gadabout, vagrant, wastrel, loafer; vagabond, nomad, bohemian, gypsy, pilgrim, peripatetic; emigrant, fugitive, refugee; globetrotter; hobo, night walker, walkabout, straphanger, swagman, trekker AND wanderer.


Yar. That's better.

Yes, "Itinerant" means ALL that. Every single word and the universes they convey.

Hm.

I think the Cappy is right.
Instead of simply making a t-shirt with "Itinerant: i-tin-er-ant, adjective: one who wanders.", I think I need to do something a little different.

A lot different.

It needs more.

Mebbe the proletariat aint so obtuse after all.
---------------------
And thank you, to everyone who have picked up schtuff from the Itinerant store... :-)

You guys rock. (I only say *that* for the folk I hold in extreme gratitude.)

The most popular item is the Itinerant ash-grey t-shirt.

(Wayne's World voice) Awriiiight. :-)

Thank you California, New York and Florida.


No comments: