Wednesday, December 12, 2001

Stuff I read that makes me nod my head, and go, "uh-huh, yep, thas right..."

i took a walk through my neighborhood yesterday, and the street was positively lined with people making and selling stuff on the street... i'm kind of into that, actually. it makes life interesting, and it's infusing new york with a something that's been gone for a while. dunno what it is but struggle and an empty bank account always do infuse a culture with a bit more ingenuity, at least in the beginning, at least before people get broken down a bit... one good thing about new york, it takes an awful fucking lot to beat a people down... obviously, we know this first-hand.
- Dori, going through the same slow-economy shiznit, trying to do something herself.

------------
Sometimes, I hear it out of the blue. Randomly.

One of the sicilan ladies telling her son : "This is joe.. he is gonna be a millionaire. He is gonna make it big."

Inwardly, I went "Gah!". I openly demurred. I want the expectations kept looooow.

The Cappy sez it from time to time, even as she see's no apparent progress.

Chatting with some Verizon repairmen this morning, hooking up some private fiber connections in the street:
"Youse gots some great ideas. You'll make it." says the younger guy.
I protest, giving examples as to how even good ideas are no guarantee and how much hard work, preparation and having to get past people who think you're crazy..
The older one, retiring in a few days, rebutted: "Nah.. you'll do it."

I thank them.
Sometimes, I even believe it myself.
------
Reading RiotGirl's 50 things she loves about New York.
I was gonna excerpt her thoughts on Brooklyn, but instead - this thing about 'power'
Power: Yep. Ugly word to some. But this city gives you strength. I’ve said it before and I will say it again. The city is alive and when it loves you, it makes you the greatest person in the world, capable of doing anything, however large or small. Some days buying a hair dryer is a challenge, but when you manage it, you know you’ve accomplished something. Because you had to work for it. Nothing comes easy here but the rewards of hard work are often…power.

Yep. Uh-huh. Thats right. Lotta hard work.

Ahh, fuckit.. I like the part about Brooklyn too..
Brooklyn. They say 1/4 of Americans have roots there. If that were only true, this country would be a lot better off. Brooklyn has pride. It has glory and sorrow, happiness and danger, all rolled into one big cannoli with a slice of white. It has a neighborhood for everyone. And people who live in Brooklyn are proud to be from Brooklyn. Hell. We got t-shirts. As my friend Gingi says, try shouting “Brooklyn in the house!” in a crowded bar or any large group of people from around the world. Someone will shout “WOOOOOOOOO!!!!HOOOOOO!!!!” As well they should.
After all, it is the greatest borough.

Yep. Although NATIVE Brooklynites will shout "BROOKLYYYYYN!!!!"

Anywhere, anytime.

Heh, especially when LilBro would do it, I used to be horrified, now I go "Uh-huh, yep, thas right".
--------
Heard on the radio the other night, the Ron and Fez show..

A catholic priest, going over a theological and legal point (ie: Why priests WONT squeal on an admitted murderer or rapist in confessionals).

This priest, Father Frank, you can tell is an Italian FROM Brooklyn, and is IN Brooklyn.

He ends the phone call with:

"God bless youse."

Heh. I found that fuckin hilarious.

I rarely heard 'youse' the first coupla years Ive been in New York.. but now...

I swear, I the farther I get away from Manhattan, the more I hear 'youse'.

It's endearing almost.
-----

No comments: