Sunday, March 10, 2002

As JT watched the nightly rotation of Law and Order and other NY based shows, he commented:

"If you go by TV and the movies - everybody in New York lives in a spacious loft or fabulous apartment."

Heh. I dont need to expound on this - but I have to admit - part of the strain of living in NY is trying to live and trying to keep where you live.

I could tell you stories, including what my family is going through, where most of the major decisions are based on keeping the NY place.

Sometimes, people even get murdered for it.

But, I pointed out to him.. those fabulous New York apartments, (except for the Friends set ;-), do indeed exist.

Just nobody I know personally.
--------------
Well, apart from the client I had in the East Village with the apt that had a living room that could comfortably hold 50 people and a dining room built for 20.

Genuine Warhol prints on the wall, a kitchen more spacious than many studio apartments, fresh flower arrangements daily.

A spacious private patio with several levels.

I got persian rug burns on my jaw every time I walked into the place and gazed up at the 25 foot ceilings....

Oh yeah, and the building is right beside a Catholic soup kitchen, with nary an indication of whats behind the doors.

New York.
-------------
Pappa Joe's Pizza, Lake Mary Florida

Out with a Bayonne Jersey girl. JT: "This is really a New York pizza place.
Me: " Nah, this place - apart from the Calzones.. isnt really a New York kinda pizza joint."
JT: "It is. Look at how the people are hustling behind the counter.."
Me: " *pshaah*. In New York, theyd be moving twice as fast and more efficiently. Plus they wouldnt be chit-chatting as much."
JT: "Look at the guy behind the counter.. he looks like he's from Brooklyn."

We turn to look at the goateed guy with the shaved head.

Me: "Nah, he's a Jersey boy."
JT: "You sure?"
Me: "I'd say so. Lemme ask him."

I go over to DaGuy..

DaGuy: "Jersey. Bergen County."
Me to JT: "See?"
JT: "I was sure you were from Brooklyn."
DaGuy: "Nah, they havent let me into Brooklyn since 1985. The Port Authorty police keeps us riffraff outta the tunnels. "

Me to Daguy: " I stayed in Bayonne for awhile.."
DaGuy: "Oh yeah?? Maaan, the women in Bayonne are crazy!"
Me: "TELL me about it."

We laughed. Yep, Jersey Girls.
----------------------



No comments: