Tuesday, March 26, 2002

In New York, youve got the Usual Suspects of vermin, the unwanted neighbors.

You know. Critters.

Roaches, rats, mice, flies.

You may not like it, you may even be lucky to not see them more than occasionally, but theyre the real permanent residents of New York.

In South Florida, that is also true - but you also have a common critter that I dont mind actually.

Lizards.

They abound in all shapes, sizes and colors.

Theyre not the PRETTIEST critters around mind you, but I happen to like them.. having gotten used to them watching and occasionally torturing the little beasties back in my Jamaican childhood.

As an adult, I like them even more cuz they feed on OTHER critters that I dont care for.

Roaches. Bugs. Flies.

So, when I see 'em, I dont bother them.

Even when i occasionally see 'em in the house, I tend to leave them alone.

Like today when I saw a tiny one in the shower.

He must think he's in a rain forest or sumthin.

I left him alone, and continued showering.
Although you really cant encourage them, so every so often you gotta grab a broom and shoo them outside.

Inside isnt where they belong, which is true fer all critters, NY or Florida.
------------
Speaking of wildlife, Ive become quite the ornithologist in the short time Ive been here.

And I dont need to leave the yard.

Lesee, the most spectacular of them are the parrots.
(Mars rarely believes anything I say anymore. Yes, I said parrots :-)

Coupla Hyacinth Macaws if Im not mistaken.

A pair of Muscovy Ducks. Blackbirds. Plovers. KingFishers. Swans. A red crested Woodpecker (ala Woody Woodpecker).

And more wild doves than Ive ever seen in my life. More doves than pigeons, which actually seem to be a rarity around here.

Ive even heard tell of Peacocks in the neighborhood. But I havent seen them meself.

By the way, they are some NOISY mofo's those doves. And none of that coo-cooing crap. They shriek, yell and belch. Just not the genteel doves of legend.

You get a mob, fermented fruit juices and thas what happens.

I guess I gotta start taking wildlife pix.

Cuz Mars doesnt believe anything I say. :-)
----------------
Speaking of critters.. I havent seen any.. gators yet.

I'll give it time.

No comments: