Thursday, March 28, 2002

It struck me, reading the blog of an Angelino..

I looked back on the writings of some of my regular reads and sure enough, the pattern was there in every single one.
(no links provided cuz my ass has been flamed enough times....)

Here it is: LA'ers often seem.... bored.
Just bored out of their gourd more often than not.

Excitedly, I posed this insight to Brian, a thoughtful and philosophical LA native.

He said he didnt see it, but would get back to me after some thought.

Naturally, the subject passed. :-)

(This is too easy, but ... ) Maybe he got bored with it?

*rimshot*

JPennant: I still mean what I said tho. :-)
yamB: about.....?
JPennant: LA'ers seeming to be often .... bored.
yamB: oh, that one
JPennant: heheh. yup.
yamB: well, off the top of my head...
yamB: I think some of that is due to "variety"
JPennant: hm?
yamB: yeah. we have so much of a variety of things to do out here, that sometimes we get bored with things
yamB: i'm not sure i explained that right
JPennant: =-O Yeah, it seems kinda contradictory
JPennant: You all often act like LA a vast sprawl of nothing punctuated by a bit of good scenery and color.
yamB: i think that comes from the commuter car syndrome
JPennant: ahh
JPennant: I guess that does take a toll on folk's psyche
yamB: since no one gets out of their car except at the destination, it's all just scenery
JPennant: that makes sense.
yamB: i don't know if this analogy makes sense either, but...
yamB: i have a very wide variety of foods that I like to eat
yamB: and everything is available here
JPennant: okie
yamB: but somedays i just wished that I ate the same thing every day so I wouldn't have to make a choice
JPennant: AHHHHH!
yamB: so everything then, seems rather boring
JPennant: You know, that actually makes sense
JPennant: An overload of everything all becomes a mass of nothing.
yamB: that's why at most sporting events, the LA crowds always get criticized for not being very excited
JPennant: Its hard to enjoy the little details eh
yamB: they have so many different options for entertainment, that a ball game is just another option
JPennant: Heh. We figure y'all are just naturally laid back or stoned.
yamB: well, that's beside the point :-)
JPennant: heeheeheee

----------------
I think the reason my mind got on that track awhile back, was a memorable paragraph in Mary Forrest's monoblog..
I have seen the spoiling effects of Southern California living. Days that seem to fold into each other because of persistent beauty that goes unnoticed and unmeasured. Impossibly beautiful moments that don't linger because they are indistinguishable from those that follow. It is beautiful here much of the time. So beautiful that I have to look at ugliness every now and then just to remind myself of the contrast.


And I just went .. gosh.

I think thats why I take pictures.

Its almost a sin to let things, details.. life... blend into the background.

To be all background noise.

No comments: