Monday, April 15, 2002

Clint and I were cubicle mates at AOL..

McClint: DUDE! I got the perfect job for you
JPennant: hm?
McClint: http://www.polar.org/apc/inc/desc.asp?job_id=153
McClint: the catch? It's in Antarctica
JPennant: Heh. Ive troubleshot connectivity in the arctic :-)
McClint: i've done that too but from the comfort of warm sunny Florida via telephone :-)
JPennant: heheh

Its true. We could tell a million stories.. but my favorite story about getting people connected online above the Arctic Circle..

A teacher, calling from Alaska was having trouble STAYING connected, because her satellite uplink was getting interference from the solar radiation of an Arctic summer...

So, as we talked on the scratchy satellite link, she was telling me the procedure on letting kids out for recess...

They sent out one kid to shoo the Polar Bears - so the rest of the kids could come out to the schoolyard and play.

My question was.. what if the bears went after the lead kid?

Shoot. I forget what she said.

I was back testing her connection through the radiation.

I got her connected and stable. The kids could get back online.

So, yeah - work in the Antarctic?

No problem. ;-)
-------
"Elliot?? Elliot is a kid who eats paste. How about a name like Nick. Nick's your buddy, Nick's your pal, Nick's the kinda guy that you drink beer with..."
- John Cusack
The Sure Thing


Heyyy, Nick in Mississippi has redesigned his site. Looks good.

Yes indeedy I read the site daily.

All the "Nick"s I know in real life are hella cool dudes. (The Nicki's tend to be psychos but thats other stories for other days.)

So yeah. Nick.

No comments: