Wednesday, April 24, 2002

Fish Stories

South Florida is like boat heaven, with most households running an SUV so that they can tow a boat.

And folk go sea fishing during the weekend.

Which is how I got fresh MahiMahi filets to cook yesterday afternoon.

Oooh.

Nice. Although I was given instructions on how to cook it.. I have never cooked fish, It wasnt lookin good - so I turned to a woman of uncommon sense fer advice.

JPennant: hey hon
JPennant: got a question fer ya....
JPennant: Someone caught some Mahi Mahi sunday
JPennant: know how to cook fish?
gigi: hi! i'm a terrible cook, sorry.

*pshaah* She forgets I know what she wehnt to school for (nutrition), and over the years Ive known her - she tends to be one of those people who gives me excellent advice when asked.
(No mean feat for us egotistical Dragons, who have trubble TAKING advice in the first place, much less asking.)
I aint fooled by her self-effacing act.
Im about to get righteous advice.

So, I gave it a minute, and a one and a two and a......

gigi: what is your question?
JPennant: Im baking some fresh mahi mahi
JPennant: they tell me to cook at 350 for 30 minutes
JPennant: in a foil tent
JPennant: I look at it and there is a LOT of liquid.. and it dont look cooked
gigi: hmm....
gigi: maybe drain some of the liquid and put it in for a little longer, slightly higher temp?
gigi: just a suggestion. i dunno. sorry. :-(

Doh!

See? :-)

JPennant: heh. that sounds like its an excellent suggestion :-)
gigi: :-)
JPennant: Lessee, instructions were to put a little fresh squeezed lemon first
JPennant: then butter
JPennant: then spices
JPennant: then bake
JPennant: in tin foil tent
JPennant: I put a little ginger, black pepper and garlic and parsley
JPennant: the spices steamed thru.
JPennant: thats the way to do it, right?
gigi: sounds like a good combo
JPennant: cool :-)

JPennant: Lemme go do what you told me to do.
gigi: hehe

JPennant: Ok, did that.. and now its starting to have a luvverly aroma. :-)
gigi: hehe
gigi: yay!
gigi: you have to let me know how it tastes!
JPennant: danke, oh woman of uncommon sense. ;-)
gigi: :-)
JPennant: Heh. It will be under Fish Stories.. my new irregular feature :-)
gigi: lol!


JPennant: Mmmmm. Yeah
JPennant: Its like the tenderest whitemeat steak Ive ever had.
gigi: yum
JPennant: Im cookin it a little more
gigi: ok
JPennant: Next time Im getting some soy marinade
gigi: are you having rice with that?

Doh!

JPennant: I'll make a little herb flavored white rice
gigi: sounds good

Later.....

JPennant: MMMMMMM
JPennant: Very very very very good
JPennant: rice + fish = goood
gigi: and healthy
gigi: :-)
JPennant: heheh

See what I mean? ;-)

I didnt have the heart to mention there was ... mmmmm... lotsa buttah .. on the rice.

gigi: i'm excited you are cooking!!
JPennant: it feels good :-)
--------------
Whoof.

I woke up this early, cuz its muggy as hell.. at 4am

You know its hot when you have to wake up and go take a quick shower to cool down and relieve the stickiness.

Well, this is the tropics.

No comments: