Thursday, January 02, 2003

Aha

Someone explained it to me last night about the cold here:



Because of the cold Pacific Ocean and the air coming down from the Bay of Alaska, the cold is relative .
If its 40 degrees here in the Bay Area - its the equivalent of about 25 degrees in Chicago. A humid kind of cold.


Now, that makes sense.

Like when high humidity makes 85 degrees in the summer feels like a 100 in Florida, the humidity of the night cold in the Bay Area also permeates.

Gotchya.

THAT makes more intellectual sense than someone saying "Its mild weather here because its not ice or snow". Gah.

So, as Fred would say - dress in layers...

That also explains why my wool-lined storm jacket is warmer here than my other polyfill-lined schtuff.

By the way, the Berkeley native was standing around in a sweater and sandals while I was shivering in my bulky winter denim.

Heh, he was kinda incredulous that as a Chicago boy used to The Hawk, I was bitching this heartily about it.

Dude. Cold is cold.

No comments: