Friday, January 17, 2003

Today's horrorscope


You have a tendency to fear the worst and the danger now is that you will allow it to get out of hand and spoil what otherwise promises to be a pretty good day.

At regular intervals throughout the day you must stop, count to 10, and remind yourself of all the reasons you have to be glad you are alive.

There are plenty of them.



True dat.

So in that vein, I remember...

Id lived in Jacksonville Florida for 7 years and heard the name 'Huguenot Park' outside the Mayport Naval Station.

I never once went there to check it out. I had never been overly impressed with Jacksonville's beaches, preferring the blues and white sands of the beaches a bit further south down Florida's Atlantic coast.

I was stupid.

This pristine beachfront and sand dunes is incredible, especially considering it sits between two massive Naval bases.

Well worth the 50 cent price of admission, never mind the Seahawk helicopters constantly on patrol overhead...

You have to drive through these massive sand dunes and a lagoon to get to the beach.











But the views are worth it .. ;-)



All during my trek up the Florida coast, I had been trying to get a shot of Pelicans skimming in formation over the waves and beach.

Here we go:











I drove to where they were nesting ...














Huguenot Beach is actually part of the massive Timicuan Nature Preserve, so there is wildlife aplenty.

Just stepping in the water, you'd have schools of baby fish swimming in the shallows.










And I love that you can drive on the beach flats (although I did manage to get stuck one or *cough* thrice in the sand).











Oh yeah, the lifeguards had taken off just as I got there..



but eh







This being right beside one of the biggest Naval bases on the east coast, we were never alone..



but eh..













Yah, it was incredible. Makes you glad to be alive.





No comments: