Monday, March 03, 2003

The pain and pleasure collection

Listening to songs that bring on that feeling of pain and pleasure in my gut. The kind that makes you ache and smile at the same time.


Diane Schuur - Cry Me a River
Patti Labelle - If Only You Knew
Sade - Sweetest Taboo
Anita Baker - Angel
Peggy Lee - Fever
Dianne Schuur - Louisiana Sunday Afternoon



Why?

Cyn had asked me this in response to an article Id sent out about Norah Jones


do you like her music, joey??


I hadda answer, that Id never actually heard her music.. and added that it was prolly because I have this aversion to listening to young female singers, usually singing about stuff they know little about.

Man, that sounded crass. And snobbish.

But thats how I feel about 'em, which is why folk like Natalie Merchant, Jewel and Alicia Keyes barely register on my consciousness past a song or two.

Dont get me wrong... good singers, all.
But I need more. I want them to elicit that mixture in me, from me.

So, I grabbed a copy of Norah's music and let a few cuts play.

Yes, her breathy jazz renderings are above average. Nice to listen, to kick back to.

Doesnt grab me.

In fact, it made me hunger to hear a young Diane Schuur's own grammy album, Talkin Bout You - which Norah Jones reminds me of, but without the five octave range, perfect ear.. and oh yeah, soul.

Not slammin the beautiful girl, dont get me wrong. Her admirers certainly love her for what she does.

Just doesnt bring me that achingly sweet collection of pleasure and pain that makes life worth living.
-

No comments: