Monday, April 14, 2003

No one said that being self-taught was easy

The college professor said, back in 1986..

"My advice, get the degree and get out there as quickly as you can. Youre going to forget 95 percent of what you learn here. The purpose of going to college is to learn how to learn."


Now, everytime my aspirations over-reach themselves - I wanna go take a class for whatever Im trying to learn.

Bah.

However, the professor was right.. I did far more studying than I ever did in school. (I used to look at the stacks of networking, programming and certification reference books I accumulated as a tech in awe. By the time I left NY/NJ and gave them away - they filled 3 large iMac boxes. Thousands of bux worth of books.)

Its not as if Im some sorta over-achiever here.

With the things Im trying to learn, even with my background - I still feel lost and frustrated having to learn things from scratch.

But, Im famously stubborn.

My forehead is black and blue as I bang my head trying to learn seemingly SIMPLE techniques that turn out to be not so simple.

The pain makes me wanna become a rote student again.

And its simple shit too. Theyre simple questions - why arent the answers obvious, dammit?

- I want my documents in the page layout programs to .. duh.. be laid out in a certain way.
Enlightenment escapes my bruised forehead.

- I want to rotoscope my images. The resultant mess is not what I envisioned.


So, right now, I wanna take classes in page layout and art.

Yet, something tells me the professor is still right and Id be wasting even more time.

Gah, but my brain hurts.


Ah well, thats what they make libraries for, eh?

No comments: