Sunday, May 23, 2004

What is home?

I was born
and grew up in Jamaica. I left, because my father wanted me to be safe. I didnt want to leave. I was 15.

My father was right. All my family had left, I was only there to finish high school.
(I hit the US, school officials couldnt believe I had already FINISHED high school at 15 - combination of having a start of school year birthday and skipping 2 grades - so they nixed me starting college at 15. Heh. Funny now, I was pissed then. It was helpful on a social level at least.)

Chicago was home till i was 25. My sister was living in Jacksonville, Florida when I talked to her one day and she suggested I come visit on my way from one of my sojourns to New York..

Chicago. I dreaded the chill winds in October that indicated the bone chilling cold and grey skies of winter. And the institutionalized racism.

My car broke down on the way there. By the time I limped into Florida, I was skint and stuck. I was frustrated in Chicago, and I wanted something different. The living seemed easy, so I stayed.

Jax. The living was easy. Unfortunately, the money wasnt, so I first learned the bitter taste of poverty there.

Seven years later, drawn by the money and the chance to help support my Mom, I went to New York. Before then I did a bit of travelling as a consultant.

New York. Yep, you can make a lot of money. But, trust me - you earn every penny.
I could afford to live almost anywhere, But the prospect of laying down THAT kinda money for shelter seems abhorrent even now.

At the end of 2002... I left New York. Half a year of Florida, a bit of cross-country, and now California.

Dont listen to the stories of how rich Silicon Valley is. Most folk here are POOR. And having to spend over half a mill for a bungalow.
There are far too many folk here behind on rent and living in their cars.

As nice as Berkeley and the Bay Area is, Ive had enough. Either I put down roots and stay or move on.

So, Ive been pondering. Decision time is coming.

I either make one or one will be made for me.
---------
Actually, in every case, when it was time to go.. it was time.

I should stop wondering. :-)




No comments: