Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Its Da' Pie

In the
DawgSpam I sent out today, was a NY Daily News article about the high price of milk causing Pizza prices to rise.

My friend, Kate in Philly (as opposed to Kate in NY - who is from Philly, but.. anyways)weighed in on this vital issue..
I always pay more than 2 bux a slice for pizza because I pick gourmet
toppings. Blargh. But you can still get a plain slice for less than 2
dollars in Philly. At least for now...


>>> "Joe Pennant" wrote back>>>
Hell, I cant even afford A slice of pizza right now..
:-)

Its funny, I remember back in my starving student days
(starving student, starving artist.. theres a theme
going here) having to subsist on a greasy slice and a
soda from Gigio's Pizza in Evanston.

If I were REALLY flush, Id get TWO slices. Lessee..
that was a buck 15 apiece. I wonder how much they are
now...


To get more bang for the buck, I'd pour a crapload of grated parmesan cheese and a shitload of pepper flakes to feel like I was getting more.

WHat it really did was sop up the grease. ;-)

But, when I had money.. I abandoned Gigio's for Giordano's.

No guilt. :-)

JPennant: There's a place called Giordano's
JPennant: the pies are BIG and they taste sublime
JPennant: I guess they DO call them stuffed pizzas now
JPennant: http://www.giordanos.com/
McClint680:: yeah i heard that name thrown around and saw a sign for it somewhere
JPennant: great stuff, man
JPennant: very rich, but delicate
McClint680:: kissimmee and lake buena vista? golly.
JPennant: LOL
McClint680:: must be a transplant
JPennant: I guess theyre trying to be like Pizzeria UNO

Pizzeria UNO is ok, but eh since theyve become a TGI Fridays kinda chain.

Other good excellent Chicago pizza spots are

Carmen's in Evanston.
Gino's (they moved from downtown on Superior, I hear theyre glitzier, but they still have the tables carved into by the customers..)

oooh, and Barnaby's on West Touhy. A neighborhood joint, they make the most sublime of creations.. like a broccoli deep dish.

If it can make me, a guy who hates broccoli, eat it.. you KNOW its the shit.




No comments: