Thursday, July 22, 2004


Fog lover

In actual fact, Ive ALWAYS liked fog.

Always wished I could live in a hilly, tree-filled fog place.

I like it on the cool side too.

Be careful of what you wish for.

See, I was thinking of the Blue Mountains of Jamaica, with its alpine forests, shrouded in fog and mild (for the tropics) weather.

Heh. Not San Francisco.

Jamaica doesnt have that chilly maritime fog that hangs off the coast of much of california for a good paret of the year. (They dont tell you this on BayWatch).

That fog is usually omnipresent, either waiting off the coast or rolling over much of the bay.

Still, there are times when that fog-shrouded view is simply breath-taking, as it was yesterday looking down from Potrero Road, down into the valley below Telegraph Hill.

The fog was creeping over Mount Davidson (the tallest point in San Francisco, covering the base of the three-pronged telegraph tower, but the valley below was bathed in a silvery hard light, the sun turning the straight streets in silver rivers dotted by silver cars.

Again, this elicited a whispered 'Wow'.

--------
By last night I was feeling a lot better.

The bus ride did me good.

And so did meeting a lovely young woman who is moving to South Beach.

I wanted to keep my mouth shut about it, but I kept warning her that South Florida is definitely another world, and everyone downt there is kinda .. twisted.

Well, she see for herself.

I wished her a bon voyage.

Funny, not too many Californians I know even WISH to go to florida.

So, good for her. :-)

No comments: