Monday, July 19, 2004

On today's episode - random thoughts

Snippet from
last nights episode of the Simpsons.

They do a riff from the San Francisco movie "Escape from Alcatraz", jumping into the bay escaping from Alcatraz prison (renamed The Ronald Reagan Re-education Center):

Marge: Lets swim to San Francisco!
Homer: Do you think we're made of money?? We're swimming to OAKLAND.

That brought hearty laffter from the San Franciscan audience.
-----------
Although I definitely know what I want for a semi-pro camera, Im also looking for a decent pocket camera.

I am partial to Fuji, there have been an explosion of excellent cameras in the low end range... as evidenced by the glut of 3 and 4 megapixel cameras in the under 300 range.

So much so, Im a little overwhelmed by the choices.

One way Ive been researching is when tourists hand me their cameras to take pictures of them in front of pretty San Francisco scenery..

The only one that Ive LIKED as soon as it fell into my hand was a Pentax Optio S owned by some japanese tourists.

It impressed me by its lilliputian size, ease of handling, intuitive controls and excellent pix.

Yeah, it sold itself in under a minute.

Second choice was a Canon Powershot A75, although its a tad bulky, its a nice piece of kit for something so inexpensive.

Still, Im surfing the under 200 dollar range.
------------

While waiting for the G.I.D to cross the bay and meet me for lunch, I decided to kill a few hours on another excursion.

Reading the bus sign, I discovered a Muni bus, the #76, that goes to the Marin Headlands, the OTHER side of the Golden Gate Bridge.

For a buck+25 round trip, you cant beat that excursion fare.

Dude, it was so foggy I couldnt see a damned thing yesterday morn.

Even so, the scenery was impressive, even shrouded in fog.

And when the bus started climbig the heights of the headlands, we broke thru the fog layer into stunnigly blue skies and a view of the silver fog bank that made me go "Wow".

Unfortunately, that bus only runs on Sundays (and some holidays).

Ah well.







No comments: