Tuesday, January 23, 2001

Stuff on my mind...

Talking to a few web friends...

One has a roommate who has confessed he has feelings for her.
She never thought of him as more than a friend.
Another's boyfriend is bothered when she refers to the previous boyfriend as 'friend'.

'Friends'. Like 'love', a term cheapened by over-use.

I used to think "Lets just be friends" was a bad thing.

Until I had to use it.

Its not fun when youre on the receiving end of "Lets just be friends" tho.

That almost never works out.

Cause yer just fooling yourself.

My opinion: Once you cross the line between "Just friends" and being an item, the rules change.
Being friends require a certain set of rules.
There are lines you dont cross if you want to stay friends.
Once you get romantically involved, those barriers are removed, which is oft necessary to be physically and emotionally involved.

(You dont even havta actually sleep together to cross some of those lines, by the way...)

Thats why the "Lets just be friends" speech, I consider to be insiduous.

Because its essentially a lie... you can never go back and *just* be friends.

There is just too much involved to be sanguine about it.

You go back to be just friends, you have to have a new, stricter set of rules.

Eventually, that never works - because its then that much harder to stay friends.

To put it another way, the 'love' in 'lovers' isnt just a euphemism.

'Just friends' is.

Ask any divorced couple.
-------------------------------
I got the keys to the apartment today.

Still needs to be cleaned up, garbage bags (many many bags), a busted window repaired, a toxic fridge cleaned (that has had food innit since may when the power was turned off) and the lights back on before I can move in.

Still waiting to find out when that will be.

After the events leading to getting my license suspended (starting with a bad night just trying to get thru Jersey) I swore I would NEVER live in the hell hole that i considered New Jersey to be.

Things change.

I found myself walking down the main strip of Bayonne, NJ enjoying the almost suburban views.

It doesnt feel like a war zone.

The rents are cheap.

Hell, I had a Chulapa Combo Meal @ Taco Bell for 3 bux an fitty.

Whoa.

A Happy Meal anywhere in NYC is never under 6 bux.

There are quality restaurants every other block.

The people are even, *gasp* friendly.

Well, no - but it seems that way.

However, all is not perfect....

I did not see a Starbux anywhere in Bayonne.

Hmm.

I may have to leave that hellhole.
------------------
Ok, ok, ok.. another HappyCat story.


I'm doing the sofa slouch, and Ol' Biff (his real name) didnt have a lap to leap upon, and my chest, the alternative, wasnt inclined to the proper resting position.

Hmm.

He rested in proper cat position for several minutes studying the dilemma.

Biff, being a good Marine, then improvised.

He leapt up, rested his haunch on the couch and, paws first, lay on my chest, purring.

Impressed, I let him be and paid the toll. One scratch session it was.

Then.. and then...

He rested his head on my cheek, as a baby would.

Oh my.

Never have I had a puddy tat get THAT personal.

Shocked, I just let him be for a good fifteen minutes.

He did not move one iota during that time.
----------------

No comments: