Sunday, February 04, 2001

Although a commonly used word, the Pennant surname is quite uncommon.

, Most folk who didnt marry into the name can trace their ancestries to specific locations in the world.

In fact, we seem to fall into two general groups - the 'white' Pennants and the 'black' Pennants.

I found it hilarious when a woman in a canadian office of Deloitte & Touche came across my name in a company directory and wrote supposing we were related from a common welsh ancestry as her family was first generation canadian..

I didnt dissuade her.. but I pointed out that I came from the Jamaican group of Pennants, of black ancestry.

I never heard from her again.

Nor did I hear back from Stanley Pennant in Australia.

I'd like to think its something against me being Jamaican. :-)

See, the 'white' Pennants spread throughout the british empire from a common town in Wales. The name is famous, because the name is represented in the House of Lords.

And their wealth came from one of the largest sugar plantations in the world at the time (the 18th century) - supported by a healthy populations of slaves, who took the name of the master.

It is probable there are blood links between the two groups, but for obvious reasons, I dont think there will be get-togethers organized any time soon.

I just heard from a Pennant .. born of Brooklyn. Of Jamaican parents. A Born Jamerican. :-)

I think its extremely likely he is related, because his father came from an obscure area of southern Jamaica where I know I have several uncles and aunts.

That area is close to the expansive south Jamaica plains that still support some of the largest sugar plantations in the world.

And around which, most of the Pennants (of various racial ancestries) still live.

Most of the emigrant Jamaican Pennants are spread around the world, primarily in England, the US (NY, Florida, California usually), Canada and other scattered spots around the globe.

I think I'll try to hook up with him, help his curiousity.

Because we are indeed proud of the name.
--------------

No comments: