Thursday, June 14, 2001

"Oh shit... youre NOT supposed to be able to launch that high up, you fuck.."

A surprise incoming attack from Clan Wolf had started, seven to 1 odds, and I was straining to track the massive, eerily-humanlike Summoner mech who was now well past his supposed 180 meter ceiling and sailing in fast at me. Too fast and too high for a clear shot at him.

His job? To take me out.

And I was on the wrong side of the odds count.

Grr. Fuckit. I dont have time for this.

I wheeled my Clan Jade Falcon TimberWolf 90 degrees to the right and slammed the throttle to full speed, 75 tons of armor and armament responding with surprising alacrity for something so tall and heavy, sprinting out of my firebase on this cold god-forsaken world..

I had some surprises up MY sleeve too.

Standard attack tactics meant there HAD to be some assault mechs somewhere on my perimeter, powered down to avoid sensor detection.

Shit, instinct and hunches are just as good.

This is like chess. Its all about time and distance and taking care of business by any means necessary.

Sure enough - there they were. Two Jenner IIc assault mechs, 1 kilometer away, powered down and hiding behind the mountains. They may be old fashioned, but ungodly fast, lethal, agile and a BITCH to deal with when warmed up and frisky.

I needed to take out this litter of Clan Wolf pups, before I had my hands full dealing with swarming, fire-spitting mechs.

Improve those odds.

*ALLfire.. ENGAGED* the throaty voice of my mech computer informed me as I selected my weapons to fire all at once. "Thanks sweetie", I muttered, slowing the TimberWolf to sight both Mechs at once, still standing there and now only 100 meters away.

*BOOM* *BAM*.. my mech lurched and shuddered as my old friend joined the party, trying to encourage me to leave his pals alone and come dance with him. Shit, this asshole was spoiling my aim.

Dont worry, I'll be with YOU in a minute.

I took a breath, relaxed and fired.

*Enemy mech.. DESTROYED. Enemy mech.. DESTROYED.* Damn. My computer could be a cold-hearted wench sometimes, as she announced the immolation of both Jenner pilots. Yes, there were human beings inside those things.

"Yeah, Death is *your* birthright." I spat. I think a eulogy was proper.

*BAM* *CRASH*... Ok, now he's just pissing me off. You want my attention THAT badly, you afterbirth of a cur? I wheeled to the rear to meet him and kicked back up to full speed, my TimberWolf's stride lengthening to give me wings.

Seeing me coming toward him, the Summoner wheeled and reversed direction. Nah, Clan Wolf pilots arent cowards. He wanted to lure me away from the upcoming main attack and then engage me one-on-one.

Heheh. Ive got other plans. Watch this, freebirth.

I lit the afterburners, and without breaking stride, my jump jets kicked my speed to all-mighty, the HUD velocity meter spinning digits as I closed in on the back of the huge Summoner at near-warp.

He didnt expect it, and died ignorant as I shot him in the back at point blank.

I didnt have time to stop and chat with his pieces, the remnants of the Summoner spiralling and bouncing high all over the snow-covered mountains.

I hit the jump jets and launched over the rocks between me and my base, in time to see the other Jenners and Summoners dropping from the assault ships and another set closing in fast over the horizon.

"TIMBERWOLVES DONT HAVE JUMP JETS!!" the female voice of the covering Summoner screamed over the open comm, as I dropped in front of the vanguard of the main attack force...

"Yes, ma'am. But mine does. Surprise." I answered.

Welcome to the party assholes. Yippi Ki-yay.


Heheh. And this is the old copy of the MechWarrior2 demo Im playing on my crap laptop.

Who sez old things are useless. :-)

How do YOU pass the time?
---------------------------

No comments: