Saturday, June 30, 2001

Until I got to Jersey, I didnt realize a traditionally NY item was missing from the environment.

Clotheslines!



The prop of choice of many a Warner Bros cartoon and tenement-style Gotham films.. I dont think Ive seen any in Brooklyn or Manhattan in all the time Ive been here.

Until I started seeing the traditional pulley clotheslines high-up and behind apartment houses (especially behind my own) in Bayonne and Jersey City, I forgot those things even existed.

I think the absence in New York can probably be explained simply, the hanging clothes would get pilfered....

But in secluded corners here, Im seeing them all over.

One of the things I swore I would try to fotograph as soon as I got a camera, clothes hanging in the sun behind apartments. Nothing sez New York like that. (I'll get around to it).

Man, I love sun-dried clothes.

I was thinking of getting one too.

(wait for it.. theres a point to all this sap..)

Mainly because it would also address one of my greatest peeves in life.

*%%#%% clothes, lingerie, underwear et al hanging in the &$%$% shower....

Jesus christ.. I HATE stepping into the shower and having to move clothes, panties, stockings and other unmentionables out of the way.

They CROWD my space and waste my time.

Grrr.

Today, I decided to hand wash some clothes... eh, why not.

(Stupid me... only after did I realize having a tub full of steaming water on a muggy day with 98 percent humidity already was NOT a particularly bright idea.... Guh.)

After seeing a satisfyingly amount of rich, soapy dirty water swirl away and a spectacularly clean rinse ensue (I was chuffed and proud at my effort, if I do say so myself), did I get ready to drip dry.

Uh, wait. I had no clothesline.

None in the bathroom (by design) and none outside. Doh.

*sigh* So now you know why I shudder every time I walk by my bathroom, seeing clothes hung all over, drip, drip, drip dripping.

Gahrrr.

I hate my life.

I WILL get an outside clothesline... as god is my witness.... (shakes fist futilely at the gods of drip dry)

Did I mention I love sun dried clothes?
------------------

No comments: