Saturday, December 08, 2001

I am finding that my local library is like this... storehouse.. The Bayonne Free Public Libraryfilled with interesting things I should have looked at when I was younger, and stuff I meant to look at eventually, but never got around to it.

For instance, I found a copy of Microserfs. Something I had intended to read all these years but never got around to it.

It first came out back in 1994, back when I still worked in a book store part time (pre-Intel, pre-AOL), mainly because Id always wanted to work in a bookstore, and before I switched brain-lobes and became a professional geek.

Seems so long ago now..
---------------

"Ive been switching from being a right-lobe person over the past 18 months, and I couldnt have gone on coding much longer."
- Microserfs
Reality and want.

I realized last year that I am a retired tech.

I had switched lobes a long time ago.

Dont get me wrong, I like that I had a heavy duty support background, and it'll carry me for a long while yet.

But I am obsolete at 37.

The last heavy duty structures I could tear apart and put together with ease was Windows95, Novell 4.12, Mac OS 8, cc:Mail, WinNT, Watcom SQL and IIS 3.
All are discontinued products now.
In other words I am 3 years behind the curve in my skillset. I used to be GOOD. Now, I am merely competent.

But.. it was me who wanted to switch my lobes. So, I have to grin and bear it while this ship turns around.
-------
"I think that the books I really enjoy are the ones in which the characters realize, only in the end, what it was that they secretly wanted all along, but never even knew.
And maybe this is what life is really like."
-Microserfs


Yep.
And it really only makes sense later on, as you live through it all.

I think that is what I was trying to say the othernight, gg.

I think. :-)


No comments: