Sunday, April 28, 2002

Sunday morning thoughts

Clint and I were discussing our old cars, and which we would restore.
Clint is restoring his first car, a Beetle. I would like to find a sound Rabbit GTI and redo it.

But the other day, I was talking to the owner of a restoration shop, many of the cars he has worth more than many houses...

And I realized, even as a car buff growing up - I wouldnt want any of those cars - many now over 30 years old.

302 Boss Mustangs, Buick Wildcats (fastback version of the Pontiac Tempest/GTO), F-series Trans Ams and Camaros, Chevy 327 Chevelles, Jaguar XK E-types, DeTomaso Panteras, Mini Coopers, Citroen CX's and 2CV's.. all cars now rare and valuable that I lusted after as a child growing up.

I have owned Audi's, VW's, Volvo's , a Cadillac Coupe DeVille, BMW 2002, a rare Opel Manta Rallye. And driven countless others.

And I realized something - I dont WANT most of the classic cars anymore. Id rather have cars made in the last 10 or 15 years.

Even my first beloved Rabbit GTI will be a 20 year old car in 2 years!!! My flingable Opel Manta will be 30!! And the BMW I had will be 32!!

(And my 20th high school reunion - the one I swore to myself I will not miss - is .. next year. Eep.)

I will probably find another Rabbit GTI and send it off to some shop to be stripped to the frame, rewelded, resealed, repainted and rebuilt with later components.

Thats about as far back as I care to go.

So what cars would I collect? I guess the cars that are being built now.

Because now is a good time.

And another 20 years will come around soon enough.
------------------
Speaking of classic cars..

I stopped by the local Eckerds pharmacy, and as I walked by the parking lot, I saw two Mini Coopers.

An update to the classic.

THANK you BMW. :-D

These cars, even if they sell a million - are classics.

The original Mini came out in 1958, and the souped up Mini Cooper S came out in 62.

40 year old classics.

And we are looking at classics in their own right.

As I said.. the good times are now.

I had to do a photo shoot.















As a kid, I grew up and drove in them. They were whee hoo fun, but my memories also recall them as being notoriously unreliable, cramped, noisy and wearying to be in for longer than half an hour.

I couldnt stand them now.

But these.. hey now.

I would get one.

Now is a classic time.

The Good Times are now.
-----




No comments: