Sunday, May 19, 2002

Cooking lesson

Rainy sunday, wet and downpouring all afternoon. The water coming down in rivers off the roof.

Good, Florida has been hella dry. It hasnt rained since Ive been here.

I love rainy weather.

But I have no urge to go get soaked in it. ;-)
----
Reading Linda's jambalaya recipe and talking to my friend Lily in Jax made me want to cook a comfort food I havent had in years.
Lily's fried rice.
She used to make large tupperware jars full for me.
Id drive her crazy (as only a Virgo can do to a Pisces), for her fried rice.

So good, I didnt even want anything else.

Ive never actually cooked fried rice for myself so...

(imagine a deep southern accent, and you'll understand Lily's cadence)
JPennant: you know, Ive never made fried rice on my own
JPennant: How do I make your fried rice?
tigerlil: Its partly technique too besides the ingredients. Quick cooking, but lots of time preparing the ingredients ... of course, if you like cooking then it is a pleasure to prepare.
JPennant: cool.
JPennant: wanna give me a quick tutorial now? or ya dont feel up to it?

tigerlil: Quantity for you ...
JPennant: hehe

tigerlil: 2 cups of cold cooked long grain rice ....leftover rice refrigerated overnight is best.
JPennant: huh? why? You used to make it fresh for me in your rice cooker
tigerlil: I know how to work the wok for the dampness of fresh rice which is more difficult to handle ... I have a real wok, you will probably be using a frying pan,right?
JPennant: yup.. I cant afford a wok right now
JPennant: although, my girlfriend in Jamaica (chinese family) her mom used to make fried rice with leftover red rice and beans (used chicken, shrimp and beef)
JPennant: Think I used to tell ya
tigerlil: Yeah, you told me.You will have to make several batches in a little frying pan.
JPennant: okie
tigerlil: Heat up a frying pan, coat the bottom with about 2 Tablespoons of Peanut Oil.
JPennant: k
tigerlil: Add 3 cloves of minced fresh garlic, let it sizzles to extract the garlic essence ... this burns quite easily, be careful not to burn ...
JPennant: k
JPennant: can I use crushed garlic or powdered garlic?
tigerlil: immediately add 2 eggs to make omelet style, chop the egg while in the pan with the edge of the spatula. Move the egg pieces to a separate mixing bowl. (You use 3 cloves of FRESH garlic from a bulb of garlic)...
JPennant: ok
tigerlil: make sure you pan still retains a good coating of oil, add 1/2 cup of diced fresh onions, vidalia makes the best.
tigerlil: stir the onion until translucent crisp and remove the same bowl the eggs are in ...
tigerlil: meaning put the onions to the bowl with the eggs.
JPennant: hmm. Are vidalia onionsstill in season?
tigerlil: Vadalia is not in season starting this week. On sale big time now.
JPennant: mmmm

(I normally dislike onions, never cook with it. But I will kill for Vidalia sweet onions. They make unbelievably sublime onion rings.)

tigerlil: Add 1/3 cup of frozen English peas to the frying pan, add 3 Tbsps of water and maintain heat with cover for about 2 minutes to unfreeze the peas and cook to bright green and tender ... then move same to the bowl with the eggs and onions....
JPennant: soy sauce?
JPennant: <-- looking at the history of Chinese folk in Jamaica
tigerlil: Maintain the coating of garlicky peanut oil in the frying pan (remember the technique of minced garlic in peanut oil) heating up to hot sizzle. Add 1 cup of diced fresh shrimp, chicken, ham or whatever meat you choose, stir to cook with spatula, now add the cold rice and stir fry until you get a toasted effect on the rice. Add La Choy soy sauce to get a golden brown effect while stir frying.
JPennant: :-)
tigerlil: Add the onion, peas, eggs into the rice and meat. Keep the pan on hot heat. Stir fry an incorporate all in a grand toss effect.
JPennant: ok
JPennant: I should get a wok
tigerlil: Let the rice toast on the bottom of the pan, stir up and toast again, when you get enough toasting effect to your liking, turn the heat off.... add add about 1 cup of fresh raw beansprouts and 1/2 cup of diced fresh green onion. Toss the sprouts and green onions into the rice, the heat will wilt the sprouts and the greens. Add black pepper to taste and soy sauce to taste and go town on it.
Rice, a cold bottle of pop, and the TV.
JPennant: LoL
JPennant: Or working on your computer in my case ;-)
JPennant: Thank you hon :-)
JPennant: Im gonna try it tonight
tigerlil: The trick of the flavor rests in the basics. You gotta use the fresh garlic, you gotta use pure peanut oil....
JPennant: okie
JPennant: the shrimp.. how do I prepare it?
tigerlil: Fresh shrimp from the seafood counter. You need half a pound.
JPennant: okie
tigerlil: Wash, shell, devein, rinse, and cut up in 1/2 inch pieces.
tigerlil: If you want to be thrifty, chicken and ham combination is tasty too. Ham pieces mix well in any meat combination. I love shrimp and ham combo best.
JPennant: I actually have link sausage I could chop up too
JPennant: kosher sausage
tigerlil: If you do choose to add ham, adjust for soy and saltiness. Sausage is not recommended, unless you want to go Carribean style.
JPennant: ok

tigerlil: OK, if you plan making this you better start now to the store for the ingredients, which you will see cost a good bit.
JPennant: lessee... all I need is garlic, peanut oil, english peas, onions, shrimp and beansprouts too
JPennant: 20 bux should cover it
tigerlil: It will be cheaper to go down to the Chinese restaurant and order and tell them to add extra shrimp and still be cheaper.
JPennant: Lil, I have had the CRAPPIEST chinese food down here in South Florida. MAN.
JPennant: Not just bad, horrible.
JPennant: All the fried rice Ive had tastes like they serve day old frozen rice, reheated with a dash of soy sauce
tigerlil: The Chinese folks down there are out to make money using the cheapest ingredients and thinking the outsiders don't know and will buy anything. Trust me, they aint using peanut oil for the customers. I made sure I didnt do that in my own restaurant.
JPennant: I remember you tellin me :-)

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the restaurant she owned. She's a pro.

Later on, too late for strenuous cookin...

tigerlil: Aren't you going to buy stuff for your fried rice? It's getting late and the preparation will take some time.
JPennant: Looks like I wont be making my fried rice today
JPennant: I'll just do some rice and tinfoil chicken
tigerlil: Yep, it is heading towards 6:00. For me it would be nothing to create but for the non-cook, preparation is tedious.

tigerlil: Hobo the meal, put all your veggies and meat and rice on aluminum foil, add spices, cover with aluminum fold on top and crimp edges. Bake in the oven 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
JPennant: will do :-)
tigerlil: or longer depending on the quantity and size of your stuff inside.
tigerlil: Hobo meals work best with hamburger meat. Best to roast the chicken uncovered to get the roast flavor.
JPennant: what about ground turkey?
tigerlil: Pan fry the ground turkey, hamburger style to get sear and brown the juices. Spice with garlic salt and blk pepper and a couple of shakes of soy sauce. Saute some onions along with it.

JPennant: You should teach cooking
tigerlil: I cooked since I was tall enough to hover the trash can, climbed on the chair at 5 yrs old to wash the rice so I can say I have been cooking for 50 yrs. My mom is one of the best cooks alive. I learned my craft well.

Im here to tell ya: Yes, she did.

----
Lily's Fried Rice ingredient list then...

2 cups of cooked long grain rice
2 tablespoons of pure Peanut Oil
3 cloves of minced garlic
2 eggs
1/2 cup diced onions
1/3 cup english peas
beansprouts
1 cup of fresh cookedmeat (shrimp/ham/chicken/beef etc)
La Choy Soy Sauce

Looks simple, but this stuff is sublime.

I guess her technique is what makes the difference.

-----
Heh. It has rained so much, the kids are out playing in the ankle deep water.

*sigh* Im an adult. I'd look retarded splashing around.

Dammit.



No comments: