Tuesday, May 28, 2002

Trust, but verify.

I dont leave many comments on people's web pages anymore, due to unpleasant experiences in doing so.

This morn tho, MinJung wrote about the joys of being spiritual. As the Irish comedian Steve Allen (not that one, the one with missing fingers on one hand) said in response to people chastising him for his jokes and skits featuring the Pope and church excesses..
"Look, I will always make fun of Church and religion. But I will never... ever... laugh at a man's faith."


Faith.

I used to believe that the word meant "To believe", and I think most folk do.

However, over the years I came to see it as being better defined as "To Trust".

Turned out that wasnt enough.

Like most spiritual concepts however, the word describing it couldnt be constrained by a definition.

This morning I came upon MinJung's flow. Moved enough to leave a leave an opinion:

Ya know, Ive never been the pious type.
In spite of being an altar boy in youth, I grew up agnostic - being the skeptic I am.
Now, I truly believe almost everyone's deepest desire is to talk to god.
Im not sure why. For understanding? Maybe simply for that feeling of peace.

My personal feeling is that we all crave something deeper and more powerful.. and harder to achieve...
I dare not say the terms for fear of being misunderstood, as I have been before when I try to explain it.

But I have never quite understood piety.
Is it respect, or is it fear?

I guess it depends on how people see it..


Does piety constitutes faith?

I dunno, as I feel that piety is often driven less from faith and respect as it is by fear.

Is piety faith?

I guess for some folk it is.

For me, events showed me that simply having faith isnt the whole ball of wax. But it aint something to sneeze at.

Right now, Im in waiting mode, as I still dont quite understand what Im doing in this place at this time. But hard experience has taught me that not understanding isnt reason to doubt. So, I gotta trust that, gotta have faith that things are happening, and just be prepared to go with the flow.

Why? Because faith is about.. acceptance. That things are. That things will be.

(Acceptance, by the way, does not negate choice. Heh. But 'choice' is another word that eclipses its definitions and understanding.)

And acceptance?

Its the key to what we all want, I think. The common concept in all spiritual beliefs and religions. The most powerful force in the universe.

Love.

Another word that eclipses all attempts to define and explain it.

And in the immortal words of a wise philosopher ..

Thats all I have to say about that.

No comments: