Wednesday, July 24, 2002

I'd heard it said...

In all the time Id spent in Jacksonville before, I had heard that the Fort George/Talbot Island/Timucuan Historic and Ecological Preserves area was a must-not miss.

Eh. You seen swamp-land.... you'd seen swamp-land is what I thought, and promptly put that on priority low.

Lil told me that before I left, I should go out to the historic Kingsley Plantation, a well-preserved slice of slavery conditions .. owned by a man who married one of his slaves in an area and era when that was not just taboo, it was illegal.

In spite of her urgings, I put that to priority low and last on my list before I left the area.

Everyone was right.

I cannot even describe all of it properly, and I couldnt capture pictures worthy of what I saw.

Its not mere swamp and old-growth forest.

Its merely otherworldly.
-------------------
Kingsley Plantation

On my way there on the startlingly white sand and oyster-shell access road...











The plantation





























On my way outta there...











Im sorry I cant articulate it.

Words and pictures simply cannot do it it justice.












No comments: