Friday, October 18, 2002

Chinatown walkabout

Before then, my only forays into Chinatown were on the periphery or accidental stops for specific locations and things.

Then one day she took me for DimSum and afterwards took my hand and led me into the teeming, smelly chaos of commerce and people that is New York's Chinatown.

Simultaneously claustrophobic and confusing, it was an entry into a whirlwhind of people and goods.

From then, I loved deliberately walking into the crowd for no good reason except to gawk or to get cheap stuff.

So, on my walkabout, I indulged to capture that familiar chaos of people and sights along Canal Street.

















The norwegian tourists stepped right in front of me as I was focusing.

I lowered the camera and waited, until her husband noticed me and told her to step out of the way.

Eh, either way.









At that time, I was practicing my long zoom shots, compressing people, space and buildings.

































Then it started getting blustery, the sweltering humidity broke and it rained.











The strip of lights along one of my favorite streets..

No comments: