Wednesday, November 26, 2003

No parades here

Almost every
thanksgiving since about 1985, I would find a way to Ma's house in NY, no matter where in the country I was.

There was a year or two tho, that I couldnt afford to get to Mom's house.

One year in Jacksonville, was probably the lousiest one. I was stuck in town.
Without getting into details, it sucked.

I wouldnt mind being in NY right now. Dinner at Ma's place, then the after Thanksgiving sales.
(Although I hate shopping, and hate being dragged around unwillingly through the shopping experience, I appreciate now how Ma liked having me with her while she did her favorite thing, no matter how much I whined and complained. It was a special time for her too.)

Traipsing around 34th Street/Penn Station shopping at Conways and Macy's and the little stores that Ma knew the back ways into was always an experience.

New York truly comes alive when mass shopping is in the air.

This year, Im in California.

I'll be offline for the holidays.

I'm stuck here.

I'll be around folk, be at several homes, be well fed.. but it aint the same.

Im sorta dreading it, actually.
----------
On the holidays I wanted to be alone..

I'd check the tires, hoses (REAL anal about 'em after duct tape and river water saved me), fluids and adjustments, throw a duffel bag or two into the back and disappear to another state.

Engine singing, Id be gone.

Actually no, many of those were my marathon hauls (by myself) across the country to Ma's house.

Another part of my life I want back.
----------
Its funny, in all the times I never actually went to a Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Cuz well, it would always be chilly and windy and nasty.

Brr, hail no.

I should go one year.

--------
Random ol' thanksgiving time memories



Lunch at Tim the Photographer's place



At V's place (the Cappy)



One of the Sicilian Ladies at the Bayonne Pride bakery.

They took care of me.





Corner of Seventh Avenue and 34th Street.

The magic shopping corner. The shopping energy here is incredible. :-)





The hot giant pretzels.

In the crisp air, a little mustard, ah yeah.





At Kate's place



Rashid clowning



Tracy :-)



Upper West Side on Broadway, 96th street



A quiet coffee.




No comments: