Monday, November 24, 2003

The Right Temptation

"Whoa."
"I'll bring my car around, you can take it and sell it later."
"Nah, thats not my style. "
"What are you gonna do?"
"Im gonna wait here for a bit, see if anyone comes looking for it, if not.. well..."

-
Later

"Ok, Ive decided what Im gonna do."
"What? Nah, I already know."
"What do you think Im already gonna do?"

"You are going to sell it."
"No."
"Give it to UPS for a reward.."
"No, hell no.. Im getting no reward from them."
"Hm. "

"Its a machine addressed to the most prominent Mac shop in Berkeley. Im gonna take it back, give it to the manager, and see if they need a qualified tech on call for the holidays."

"Ahh."
---------
"He gave you a compliment, at least. He said bringing it to them showed a lot of character."

"Yeah. But man, that machine wouldve covered all my business inventory costs. Every last cent. Or I couldve simply bought all the equipemnt I needed. Cameras, printers, etc."

"Yeah, you did the right thing, Joe."

"Oh yeah? What would YOU have done?"

"HA!! I woulda picked it up from where UPS left it out on top of that garbage can in front of the Library and SOLD that mother."

"Heh. Well, what if I told you how much that thing is worth?"

"How much?"

"About 3500 bux."

*silence*

"Yup. Now, tell me again.. did I do the right thing?"

------------
A Dual 2 Ghz G5 Macintosh computer was left in front of the Berkeley Public Library. It looked like it was left out for trash, but I had seen the UPS drivers pull up.

As configured, you can buy a replica from Apple for $4,174

I returned it to the addressee on packing slip, MAC computers in Berkeley, where we saw the UPS driver who had no clue it was missing.

Or so he said. I personally think he was lying and embarrassed.

The owner of the place said I can use him as a character reference anytime. I sent him my resume.

I couldve sold it for 2500 bux easily on craigslist.

This wouldve taken care of all my funding or equipment needs easily.

So.

Did I play myself for a sucker?

Or did I do the right thing?


No comments: