Saturday, November 29, 2003

Canadians ARE nice.

I know this
first hand having visited the place and gotten to know a few folks.


Thanks Poo and Marn. :-)
------
High on tryptophan

I had a good Thanksgiving, still groggy on the tryptophan overload *urp*.

It aint New York, but Berkeley doesnt feel unfriendly. Its a good place to be, the cold notwithstanding.

I ate VERY well.

I partook of the Turkey Meals. I partook of the private meals. And before I went to sleep I partook of the meal served before I went to bed.


Oh! And there were people who were giving out meals to people just sitting outside.

Me, sitting on a bench very late in the eve, reading the NY Times (ok, fine - I read the paper version too.. Just cuz I cant get the NY Post here), digesting *one, two, three..* three full Thanksgiving meals, and a group rolled up in very shiny Escalades (a church group), handing out meals to the homeless.

"Are you homeless?"
"No, Im fine, thanks."
"Well, heres a meal anyway brother. Happy Thanksgiving."


I didnt eat it, cuz I had no need.

I was headed for my fourth thanksgiving dinnah.

America is awash in cooked turkey.

-----------
One guy I was talking to yesterday - who a year ago was himself giving out Thanksgiving meals to the homeless - said he knew a guy who remarked "Ive been homeless for over 2 years. In Oakland, Ive had to travel all over to get a meal. In Berkeley, Ive not gone hungry for one day."

Its true.

I honestly have eaten far better "residentially challenged" in Berkeley (aint everybody?) than I have in years PAYING for food.

Ive been served by world-famous chefs and not-so famous folks who crank out eye-boggling feasts regularly.

Amazing.

Every day I shake my head in Berkeley. :-)

No comments: