Tuesday, August 24, 2004

I try to keep most of my private thoughts private, but this writing to the world dealie is better than Arts and Crafts at the local psychiatric ward.


"Oh, I thought you were born in ohio."
"Yes, but Ive lived in LA most of my life."
"Well, Im planning to go down there to do some photos."
"WHY do you want to go to LA?? Dont go to LA. The people there are ASS-holes."
"Wow, youre the tenth person to tell me this, and interestingly, exactly the same way, almost exactly the same words."
"san Francisco is kinda like LA, but up here the people are far friendlier. You dont wanna go there."


Ive experienced some of that long-distance, actually, although, to be fair, the behavior wasnt restricted to just folk from SoCal. Still tho - when one person gives you advice, listen but dont take it to heart. When 10 people say it, mix those grains of salt und stir.

JPennant: hey i wanted to tell you, Im gonna write a short piece on LA and LA people soon. Its gonna be negative.
JPennant: You should not take it personally.
MisterB: hehe... the thing usually bothers me most is the "LA people" classification because they don't exist as a whole
JPennant: well, the genesis for this are folk who grew up in LA and moved to SF.
JPennant: its funny how they ALL say the same thing ie: "Why do you want to go to LA? The people there are ASSholes!"
JPennant: (the emphasis is theirs)
JPennant: If it was one or two people saying that, I wouldnt pay attention or even write about it.
JPennant: But when 10 people say exactly the same thing in EXACTLY the same way, it gives you pause.
JPennant: but, as I said - you shouldnt take it personally.
MisterB: hmm, I tend to think that ppl like that probably got kicked out of LA for obvious reasons :-)
JPennant: LoL
MisterB: I don't take anything personal as long as its not direct at me
JPennant: nah, youre one of the good guys :-)
MisterB: but I do like to take a stand when generalizations are made based on minimal info
JPennant: heh, as you should

I still wanna go.
----------
Moody-ass crankypants.

Been thinking a lot about how I am, and how I tend to deal with people lately.

Ive come to the conclusion, wait for it, that I was wrong. A lot.

No, Im far from violent and I dont yell at people. Pretty calm for the most part. So it's not an anger management kinda thing.

Its more of a withdrawl, keep the emotions locked down kinda thing.

Ive always known Im an intense and emotional person, regardless of my outwardly laid-back demeanor.

But I wasnt about to agree with Kate's assessment years ago that I was moody and cranky.

Okay. Maybe moody. Sometimes. Cranky too, but thats a no-coffee thing.

Heh. Irascible too. And nothing wrong with that.

Now, tho - especially after my performance this year with my relationships - that Kate, who is usually tactful to a fault, might have been right on in her assessment.

Ive always known that Im an emotional person, no matter what it looks on the outside, but since I havent cried in years, I didnt think it was all that big a problem.

Now, Im thinking that it is, especially when it impacts other people.

I dont want to be like that.
--------
A friend the other day said im not a 9-5 kinda guy.

My sister, who I havent seen since 1990, said the same thing.

so, why am I looking for a 9-5 job?

The day in day out "wait, i gotta go through this *AGAIN*" off wage work saps my will to live.

I find myself doing this craigslist dance...

"Mmm, this looks interesting, mmm this looks right up my alley, I'll send this to myself and send out a resume."

And I never do. Cuz I dont want to.

I havent even procured job-hunting clothes.

Even I am wondering "What is the *fuck* wrong with you???"

Last night someone looked at me last night and said "Youre a man of many talents. Youre gonna be rich, I have no doubt."

Not if I keep doing what im doing.

No comments: